Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Advantages of Pocket C Palm version?

Advantages of Pocket C Palm version?

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby whiteeaglesoftware on Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:24 pm

I am a newbie to Palm development. My only interest is in very retro style freeware games (text based or simple B&W graphics).

I have not bought a programming language yet and I am torn between PocketC and NS BASIC (both for the palm os). PocketC seems to have a very active and supportive userbase as well as a published book on it at Amazon. And it is very affordable. It does seem to have some proram size restrictions though.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me to some advantages of PocketC over NSBASIC.

Also I was wondering if anybody could point me to some games written in PocketC.

Also, if compiled on the PC using the desktop edition, could somebody tell me what the size limit on the program would be?
whiteeaglesoftware

Postby wolfgang on Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:35 pm

Hi,

PocketC is a bargain for what you can do with it. There is a free, very extensive add-on library available - PToolbox by Joe Stadolnik - which supplies a wealth of functions for games, like fast graphics, graphical user interface, memory handling, etc. etc. In my opinion this alone makes PocketC beat NSBasic by a wide margin. If you only need some GUI, there is also CControls which is a sourcecode library entirely written in PocketC that gives you access to buttons, scrollboxed, checkboxes, editfields etc.

The program size limit is given by the Palm operating system, not by PocketC. I can't remember exactly, it is either 32KB or 64KB for both data and program. This is the COMPILED program size, your source code can be much longer. And PocketC creates very compact code, so you are unlikely to hit this limit anytime soon. (I have written programs for the WindowsCE version of PocketC that have close to 10000 lines of code and are still below 64K code size).

As for games, I'd suggest to look up the PocketC webring (there's a link to it from http://www.orbworks.com), this gives you quite a few URL's where to find them.

Wolfgang

Edited by - wolfgang on 12/04/2001 09:37:23

Edited by - wolfgang on 12/04/2001 09:38:13
Composing music on the PocketPC! - http://www.pdamusician.com
wolfgang

Postby whiteeaglesoftware on Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:38 pm

Thanks for the advice Wolfgang.

I stuck an order in the snail mail today for the Palm and Desktop versions of PocketC. I also ordered the book on PocketC from Amazon. I can't wait to get them and dig into PocketC. It appears to be an awesome language :)
whiteeaglesoftware

Return to General Discussion