Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - wince vs palm?

wince vs palm?

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby quinnie on Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:37 pm

Hi,

I've done some development with PocketC for the Palms before. Now, I want to migrate to WinCE development. Can anyone tell me if PocketC language is different for Palm and for WinCE? Thanks.
quinnie

Postby wolfgang on Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:26 am

The base language is very similar, but not identical (the WinCE version was originally based on the Palm version). The library functions, especially as far as database, GUI, files is concerned are very different, a program port would amount more or less to a rewrite. I'd suggest you have a good look at the function lists and descriptions for both versions, this will show you what I mean.

Most important, Kevin Cao is no longer supporting the WinCE version in any way (he has never been very responsive to begin with, bugs never got fixed), while Jeremy's support for the Palm version is excellent. If you do migrate to WindowsCE, use the V2 version of the compiler, it is MUCH MUCH faster both in compiling (seconds vs. minutes for larger programs) as well as for the speed of the code it produces (a factor between 2 and 10), and has much less bugs. V3 is pretty much unusable and as I said, this will stay that way due to lack of support.

Wolfgang

Composing music on the PocketPC! - http://www.pdamusician.com
wolfgang

Postby quinnie on Fri May 02, 2003 6:19 pm

Hey Thanks for the reply...do you know any good free tutorials for OpenGL stuffs for PocketPC and Palm? Thanks
quinnie

Postby KOU on Mon May 05, 2003 4:32 pm

I like V3 of CE Compiler better.
It supports external DLLs written in real C++.
(It supports Win32 APIs)

But in speed, V2 is a lot better.

kou
KOU

Postby chrisleeuk on Mon May 05, 2003 5:20 pm

Its a shame that the Windows CE version of Pocket C is so forgotten about. You can sit and watch the Version numbers of pocket C for Palm and the Palm Orbforms rising steadily while the Windows CE version has no support of any kind.

You Palm programmers are so lucky!

Sales of Palm PDA's are in a gradual decline (they are still market leader) while Windows CE sales are gradually rising.

Don't get me wrong Palm is a great platform but Kevin should really ease off on the Palm for a while and get CE up to speed.

Anyone in agreement?
Formulation, Visual Environment for Pocket C - http://Formulation.0catch.com (in development)
chrisleeuk

Postby wolfgang on Mon May 05, 2003 6:30 pm

I'm the first one to sign that. In my opinion, PocketC for WindowsCE/PocketPC still has great potential. Never mind M$ is giving away Embedded Visual C++ for free. This is a different class, and orders of magnitude more complex to use. I think there are loads of people out there who value PocketC for it's simplicity, that it hides most of the complexity of WindowCE - and I think my own and other people's software proves you can develop professional programs with it. Not mentioning the fact I can continue coding when I am on the road :-)

Guy Sprackland had started to develop a PocketC compatible compiler but there hasn't been any progress lately as he seems to be consumed with his "real" life :-) I haven't given up hope competely yet, though, I know he can pull it off if he gets to it.

Wolfgang
wolfgang

Postby gaffer on Tue May 06, 2003 12:10 pm

Kou,
How can you access thw WinCE32 API functions from CE V3? Do you just include the libraries at the start, declare them and use them the same way as in Visual Basic?
I'm interested in the BitBlt and GetTickCount functions for example.

Gareth
gaffer

Postby chrisleeuk on Wed May 07, 2003 6:10 am

Like many of us Guy has this weird "other life" outside the realm of Pocket C. I myself know the shame of spending time with my family and going out to earn a living. :)

At the present time his knowledge and abilities would seem our best hope for our CE Woes.

I don't want to be too critical of the author of Pocket C.
I know a lot of people have become frustrated by some of the CE versions issues but Kevin has still produced a great little portable language. The fact is that I just would not have time to program my Pocket PC if I had to do it from the PC. I use the time on the train or when I'm waiting around for something to do a little bit more coding.

I think Kevin has his heart with the Palm and let?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s face it, maintaining two versions of a programming language across different platforms is a lot of work for a single person.
Formulation, Visual Environment for Pocket C - http://Formulation.0catch.com (in development)
chrisleeuk

Postby KOU on Fri May 23, 2003 5:23 pm

I forgot to see this topic.
Sorry...

You can get WIN32API extension here...
http://www.pcform.net

There are a lot of examples included.

KOU
KOU

Return to General Discussion