Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Bitmap problems

Bitmap problems

A PocketC native palm library offering native forms and assorted utilities

Postby louwng on Mon Nov 12, 2001 4:20 pm

I am developping an application using PToolboxLib v7.10 and PocketC v4.1.1.

I compiled the sample application "map_demo.c" with PocketC but instead of the "test_bitmap.prc" supplied with the sample, I made my own prc file but when I execute it in PocketC I get the following message on my Palm (Sony Clie PG-S300E) "FatalAlert - MemoryMgr.c, Line 4340 Null handle"

What am I doing wrong, is there a better/easier way to do this (trying to view bmp files on my Palm).
louwng

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:27 pm

Perhaps your bitmap is too big. Its total size cannot be larger than 65k (which is the PalmOS resource size limit). If you are running into this restriction try coverting your bitmap using PilRC with compression enabled. Sometimes that helps.

What is your bitmap's dimensions and depth?

Also, how much free memory is left on your PDA?

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby louwng on Sun Nov 18, 2001 1:42 pm

Hi Joe
======
Thanks for your reply, my bitmap is definitely smaller than 65 k. I did use ResIn to convert bitmap into a prc file. The dimensions of the bitmap is +/- 440 x 240.

Sorry for asking a stupid question by how do I check for free memory left on my PDA?

With what was the "test_bitmap.prc" created I saw they refer to a program called "JHSG". What I am basically trying to do is to scan a local map into my PDA and to be able to read it on the PDA.
Nico

----Original message------

How do one verify the size
Perhaps your bitmap is too big. Its total size cannot be larger than 65k (which is the PalmOS resource size limit). If you are running into this restriction try coverting your bitmap using PilRC with compression enabled. Sometimes that helps.

What is your bitmap's dimensions and depth?

Also, how much free memory is left on your PDA?

Joe

[/quote]
louwng

Postby jstadolnik on Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:55 pm

I wrote the map_demo program about a year ago, and my memory is rather fuzzy on how I added the big map to the test_bitmap.prc file.

I'm pretty sure the bitmap was 320 x 240, which could mean that you are running into a bitmap size limitation with either ResIn or the PalmOS. (I've never tried a bitmap 440 bits wide.)

I would suggest trying the PilRC/par tool combo to convert and insert the bitmap. If you get the same failure the problem is likely with the palmOS in not handling bitmaps that large. If not the problem is likely ResIn.

To get the free bytes remaining, from the main launcher window: menu->info->size. The remaining bytes will be up top.

JHSG is simply the developer ID for the test_bitmap.prc file.

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:06 pm

Actually I was mistaken, the bitmap used for the map_demo program is 440 by 280 (and has 2 bit depth).

You may not not giving the right command to ResIn. What is the desired depth of your bitmap and what is the ResIn command line you are using?

Also, if your bitmap is 440 by 240 pixels and has a depth of 8 (256 colors), you are indeed running into the 65k size limit (e.g. 440 * 240 * 8bits/pixel(color) / 8bits/byte = 105.5K bytes).

Joe
jstadolnik

Return to Pocket Toolbox