Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Slow access of HanDBase3 files

Slow access of HanDBase3 files

A PocketC native palm library offering native forms and assorted utilities

Postby Tom Miller on Tue May 06, 2003 8:33 pm

I tried using PocketC 5.03 and PToolboxLib 7.5.3 to read in some data from a (smallish) HanDBase file. The database comprises 32 records, each having 3 "string" fields. The strings are no longer than about 8 chars. It looks like it takes about 1 second to read each record into 3 variables.

This is too slow to do each time I run my PocketC app, so for now I use an applet to (slowly) read the HDBase into a PocketC database once, and then my original app reads from that database each time. This works for now since the data doesn't change often, but I'd rather not have multiple db's of the same info.

Is that speed abnormally slow?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Miller

Postby jstadolnik on Tue May 06, 2003 9:57 pm

The problem is on the HanDBase side. It's just painfully slow. The library has to call the HanDBase app every time it needs to load/store data to a database. The PToolbox side is comparatively much faster.

I would suggest, if you aren't already, using the DBgetrec over DBgetfield (it's much faster since it calls the HanDBase app once per record, rather than once per field).

Pilot-DB access is pretty fast (since to writes/reads database records directly). You can load your HanDBase data into an array and then dump it a Pilot-DB database with minimal effort.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby mgreen on Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:48 pm

I ended up rewriting the HanDBase interface to convert it to Pascal for use with the Palm Pascal compiler. The existing C HanDBase API looks up the application on every access. I cached the LocalID from the DmFindDatabase call so that only the first DmFindDatabase call needs to be made. It made a huge difference in speed, especially since I have a lot of Palm databases installed.

HanDBase support people intend to rewrite the API to speed it up, but they seem to be overwhelmed with personal and professional tasks (a new baby and new releases of HanDBase).

If you're interested in speeding up the HanDBase interface, I'd be happy to pass on what I've learned.

-----
Michael Green
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:23 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I ended up rewriting the HanDBase interface to convert it to Pascal for use with the Palm Pascal compiler. The existing C HanDBase API looks up the application on every access. I cached the LocalID from the DmFindDatabase call so that only the first DmFindDatabase call needs to be made. It made a huge difference in speed, especially since I have a lot of Palm databases installed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I actually do this already. I cache the local id once during DBopen or DBcreate, and from that point on the only the cached copy is used.

The biggest speed weakness in my HanDBase interface code is that I call MemPtrNew more frequently then I should.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
If you're interested in speeding up the HanDBase interface, I'd be happy to pass on what I've learned.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Any speed tips are most welcome.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Return to Pocket Toolbox