Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Problem with bit usage

Problem with bit usage

A PocketC native palm library offering native forms and assorted utilities

Postby antix on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 pm

Problem im having is probaly answered somewhere in this forum or in the PToolbox docs but I have no idea how the bits are calculated. Does anyone know what im getting at? I looked at the examples and did some calculations to see if there is something like adding you have to do to get the final number but i got nothing exact. can <font size="6">ANYONE</font id="size6"> give me a link to the process or tell me? i would appreciate it if someone helped me here. thanks.

antix

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:54 pm

Can you elaborate on your problem? I have no idea what you are asking.

-Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby VengantMjolnir on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:00 am

I think I understand what is being asked and I have a similar question. I understand the basics(I think) or hex... but I don't understand how to apply the bit codes that are in the examples. For instance, in the /sketch.c example included in the ptoolboxlib documentation there are two statements settting the mode variable to different values.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">while((e=event(1)) != 1) {
If(e==2) mode=0x03050000;
//round brush: width=5, radius=3
else mode =0x03050001;
plot(mode,penx(),peny(),0,0);
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
now, I do not understand exactly what portion of this is used to set the different modes. In every case of the functions I have used with single bit modes(ie 1, 2, 3, 4...) I could set it easily... but I really don't get the hex bit assignation method. Any help on this would be appreciated.
(to be specific I am trying to figure out how to set the brush width and radius)
also, if I wanted to use this function(plot) to connect the two points(current point and previous point) do I not set bit 1 to, well 1? In this case would I not use mode=0x13050000? I thought so but it doesn't work when I try it.(drag the pen fast and you get blips.. single plotted points)
I know I could make it work with a switch statement using e=fevent(1) and case 4: for pen move, then use Line() instead but that seems like a lot of wasted code if plot does it better.

"Fourth floor- toys, guns, keys to super weapons."
VengantMjolnir

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:51 pm

jstadolnik

Postby VengantMjolnir on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:03 am

Thanks, I understand the binary to hex number conversion but one thing is bugging me. I'm pretty sure I got it but are the values reversed for some reason?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The hex magic decoder ring is as follows:
Bit Value Hex Value
--------- ---------
0000 0 (no bits set)
0001 1 (rightmost bit is 1)
0010 2
0011 3
0100 4
0101 5
0110 6
0111 7
1000 8 (leftmost bit is 1)
1001 9
1010 a
1011 b
1100 c
1101 d
1110 e
1111 f (all bits set)

Aren't the hex values read the other way? When I was experimenting with pocketc's built in bitmap function and writing my own bitmaps(to get a hang of how it worked) the bit values went, 0,1,2,4,8.
so I would have read it like this....
0000 0 (no bits set, so far so good)
1000 1
0100 2
1100 3
0010 4
1010 5
0110 6
1110 7
0001 8

you get the idea...
so, you can see where I'm confused I'm sure. in the below example it would be written as 0x7. and thus begins the confusion.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
All hex formatted numbers should be prefixed with "0x".

To set bits 0, 1, and 3 use hex value 0x0000000b (hex b is 1011 binary). You can also just do 0xb, the upper bits are automatically treated as zeroed if unspecified.

I'm sure its an easy answer but I still have to ask.

VengantMjolnir

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:17 am

An 8 decimal is definitely 1000 in binary, and a 1 decimal is 0001 binary. In binary, the left most side numbers are always the larger magnitude just as in decimal numbers.

You can prove this to yourself on a scientfic calculator which has decimal/hex/binary conversion.

-Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Postby squib308 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:40 pm

quote:
The hex magic decoder ring is as follows:
Bit Value Hex Value
--------- ---------
0000 0 (no bits set)
0001 1 (leftmost bit is 1)
0010 2
0011 3
0100 4
0101 5
0110 6
0111 7
1000 8 (rightmost bit is 1)
1001 9
1010 a
1011 b
1100 c
1101 d
1110 e
1111 f (all bits set)

------

Err Joe, in your older post, shouldn't this line
0001 1 (leftmost bit is 1)
say "rightmost bit is 1"
and this line
1000 8 (rightmost bit is 1)
say "leftmost bit is 1"
?

Perhaps thats PART of the confusion.. The other bit might be due to the documentation on the bits & the "X:Y" format. I don't totally get it myself, but in another post you whipped out a code snippit to demonstrate the calculation for a button (which is what I'm working on right now) & modified it to ask for the type,frame,group,align variables & give me the result as a hex value.

perhaps if you had a full demo of bit to hex example in the docs -
0123456789abcdef
aggggggggffffttt
a - alignment bit
g - group bits
f - frame bits
t - button type bits
ex:
right align, no group, sq frame, repeat button

(if I got that right, which is very questionable - my math & my calculator came out with different bits in the 'field' bits)
Then you can stick it in the calculator & convert to hex.

Also it is confusing when in the docs it says "value ... 5" - are we supposed to set bit 5 ( 1000 ), or use a binary number 5 (0101)?

Question : can you use decimal instead of hex if you don't procede it with 0x?

Thanks for all your work and help Joe!
squib308

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:38 am

Yeah you're correct, I had the left/right wording backwards. I've corrected that. Thanks for pointing that mistake out.

perhaps if you had a full demo of bit to hex example in the docs -
0123456789abcdef
aggggggggffffttt
a - alignment bit
g - group bits
f - frame bits
t - button type bits
ex:
right align, no group, sq frame, repeat button

(if I got that right, which is very questionable - my math & my calculator came out with different bits in the 'field' bits)
Then you can stick it in the calculator & convert to hex.

See the below link. I give an exact example of this in the 7th panel.

http://pocketc.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2095

Also it is confusing when in the docs it says "value ... 5" - are we supposed to set bit 5 ( 1000 ), or use a binary number 5 (0101)?

The later.

Question : can you use decimal instead of hex if you don't procede it with 0x?

Yes.

-Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Return to Pocket Toolbox