Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - quitting an orbforms application

quitting an orbforms application

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby tthkbw on Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:18 pm

Ok, I give up, where is the exit() function?? How do I set up a menu item to quit my application??

tthkbw
tthkbw

Postby dewey on Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:12 am

You don't :). A palm application is not supposed to exit until the user actively switches to another application - e.g by pressing the "applications/home" button. I may add an exit() method if there is demand for it.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby artosoft on Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:19 am

That's why people call palmOS is not true multi tasking :-) Or not multi tasking at all.

You run a program, switch to application to run another program, or directly run program like memopad/todo/address. Lucky palmOS is faster to launch a program.

But palmOS also somekind of multi tasking, since it capable to run network application in the background.

Am I correct?

Best regards, Dian Suharto.
artosoft

Postby tthkbw on Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:22 pm

Well, at first glance this seems ok, but what about cases where I detect some kind of library or runtime version incompatibility--I need runtime version 3.2 but 3.1 is installed?

I guess I could just put up a default form saying your screwed, press the "apps" button, but it seems cleaner to allow me to exit() under certain conditions.

Comments??

tthkbw
tthkbw

Postby artosoft on Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:13 pm

Hi tthbkw,

You are correct for that purpose of exit().

But, how about using launch() to launching application instead of exit()?

Well, But I haven't go through the function on orbForms, so I am not sure launch() is supported in orbForms.

Jeremy, could you please clear it up?

Best regards, Dian Suharto.
artosoft

Postby dewey on Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:58 am

Good discussion! I will add an exit() method to the UIApp object.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby jfield on Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:33 am

An exit method was added to the UIApp object. It is called abort().

The Help Topic says "Forcefully exits the application. This method should only be called in the case of a fatal error since it aborts the application immediately without calling any handlers."
jfield

Postby trajecto on Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:56 am

Let's say I'm doing a "When the Boss walks by" button and I want my program to immediately exit no questions asked.

Is this code bad to do? It works pretty good for that purpose. It just takes me to my preferences screen on my Tungsten T when I test it:

handler buttonD.onselect() {
//quick exit
app.abort();
}

Thanks!
-Chris
trajecto

Postby samps on Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:39 pm

According to Palms rules for program behaviour and estethic design, no application should be 'exited' by deliberate user action.
The user is meant to believe that all programs are running all the time, and that he/she is merely switching between them, by using the hardkeys or the 'Home' silkscreen button.

When any of these keys is pressed or tapped, a message is sent to the active program to terminate and save whatever preferences might be scheduled for saving, and then the OS switches to the desired program.

If you want to skip this saving of preferences (panick), use the abort() function, otherwise design your application so it saves its preferences in a db during normal use, rather than when signaled by the OS, to make a quick exit in case of emergency.

In reality, I think you would have to save quite a large structure of data at exit of your program in order for anyone to catch a glimpse of what is going on during the switch.

cheers
Samps
Ubuntu user #82
samps

Postby FrankG on Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:37 pm

>The user is meant to believe that all programs are
>running all the time, and that he/she is merely switching
>between them, by using the hardkeys or the 'Home'
>silkscreen button.

It worked; I used to wonder if programs were still running! Much like wondering about that refrigerator light.... ;)

I've since figured [both of them] out,
Frank
FrankG

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect