Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Newbie Question: What Books to get???

Newbie Question: What Books to get???

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby Dude2222 on Sun May 12, 2002 1:32 am

Hi,

What books should I get (so I can learn to write code) for the Palm? Is a C/C++ book sufficient? I know BASIC and PERL - and OrbForms looks like a cool IDE to work with - but I don't want to post many items about dumb code questions. - So what book should I get to learn how to use OrbForm "Coding"?

Thanks,

---Dude
Dude2222

Postby Bolan on Sun May 12, 2002 11:17 am

I would suggest the Palm OS reference materials on the Palm OS website. Join the developer forum, read the stuff, download the emulator. Pocket C is a very easy way to write your first few programs. Don't spend money on books until your needs more clearly present themselves.
Bolan

Postby Dude2222 on Sun May 12, 2002 3:24 pm

Thanks - but I already have the need and desire to write my programs - I even know what I want to write.

I just want a pointer to what books I should look at buying for use with OrbForms - Should I look at C++ or ???

Thanks,

---Dude
Dude2222

Postby jstadolnik on Sun May 12, 2002 9:21 pm

OrbForms is brand new development tool. Beyond this forum, there is not much in the ways of support for it yet. I'm sure it will come though, OrbForms is a nice tool.

The C++ like capabilities of Orbforms are watered down enough that a C++ book would be way overkill (Orbforms has simple objects, but no inheritence or polymorphism).

Unless you are planning on writing native libraries for OrbForms, getting a PalmOS development book would not be useful because all the PalmOS API is hidden from the user beheath OrbForms own function set.

PocketC and OrbForms do share some similiarities notably in their database and drawing capabilities, and there is book out there for PocketC (see the main orbworks web page). However, the book is heavily based on Ccontrols and the PToolboxLib, which are not applicable to OrbForms. So the PocketC book would be of limited use.

A C book might be of some help with regards to standard control syntax, however OrbForms/PocketC differ enough from C/C++ that this may end up being more of a hassle in the end.

Also, the form/gui programming interface of OrbForms is so unique that it's pretty much its own thing with respect to the palm programming world. I can't think of any book that would be helpful here.

I think your best bet at this point is to study the examples which come with OrbForms and to ask questions on this forum when you get stuck.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby Dude2222 on Sun May 12, 2002 10:06 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your note - it was really usefull. I am looking at the docs and will post questions here as I come accross them.

This is a COOL tool and (comming froma perl background - with limited OOP exp) - I must say that I am already creating my first app.

Thanks for saving me the time - I appreciate it.

Regards,

---Dude
Dude2222

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect