Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - En. request: access to menu and silk/soft btns

En. request: access to menu and silk/soft btns

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby design4use on Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:52 am

Is there a function like app.hookhard() that lets us intercept presses onto the menu- or other silk/soft buttons when in an app developed with Orbforms?
Please consider this as a feature request for one of the next release if this is not already possible with 1.1.0. Thanks for listening.
design4use

Postby dewey on Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:31 pm

This is not currently possible. However, I am curious - what do you want to use it for?
dewey
Site Admin

Postby PenreeSoft on Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:54 pm

Yeah I am curious also, the main use in PocketC to hoodsoft was to interupt the calls to the menu so you could have your own, this isn't needed in OrbForms because you cn make your own menus out of the box.

As a good design principle you really shouldn't mess with those types of things (IE you wouldn't be able to exit using the "home" button), with some users (myself included) it tends to anger them when they can't access things as they normally do.

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
http://www.penreesoft.com
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby design4use on Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:02 pm

I know that it's not considered official practice ( I am a UI Designer), but I need it for a specific project - it's requirements specifically call out for doing our own thing when the user presses the home or menu silk buttons. I may need to resort to PocketC if thats not possible with Orbworks, although I would much prefer the latter. Would it be possible to write a native add-in that intercept those 2 specifc events and then pass that message on to the orbforms app?
design4use

Postby PenreeSoft on Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:04 pm

It would certainly be possible in a native add-on, do you know how to make one or should I look into it?

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby design4use on Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:43 pm

No I have not yet made any native add-ins. I would be very appreciative of any help...
design4use

Postby PenreeSoft on Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:45 pm

I'll look into it, maybe if you shmooze Joe he'll help ya out since he made it for PocketC.

Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
Nicholas J. Penree
PenreeSoft
PenreeSoft

Postby Vilmos on Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:43 am

I don't believe that intercepting hardkey events would be possible in a native library alone, or rather I should specify that handling the "Home" button would not be possible. The way it works in CodeWarrior in a standard type of program is that there is an event loop, and in this event loop you check that event against several handlers. Usually the system handler is one of the first checked, the form handler is the last, and in this case the launcher button would generate an appstop event when coming back from the system handler. This appstop would quit the event loop, the program performs cleanup and then exits.

I am making some assumptions here about the internals of OrbForms, and it is certainly possible to change this behaviour, but unless the native library is much different from PocketC, I don't think you can stop the "Home" button without some help from Jeremy.

In my real job I just had to clean up just such a loop so that all of the hardkeys are handled differently from the norm to comply with security for a custom medical application. There are some serious side-effects that you can run into if you do have a program that either ignores appstop events or swallows them up. Check the Palm Developer Forum for a long list of caveats when taking this approach. Start with http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/forums/ and then search for "appstop" and you should find some relevant threads.

Thinking about this some more, I remember doing some work on hardkey polling, but I still think that remapping the "Home" key will be problematic.

Vilmos
http://www.pocketdimension.com

Edited by - vilmos on 07/14/2002 19:48:03
Vilmos

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect