Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Bitmap Quality

Bitmap Quality

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby trajecto on Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:57 pm

Here is a tip and some info to get better 256 color bitmap quality for your Orbforms applications - mainly to adjust photo type images but also for artwork:

It's a good idea to use the Palm palette for your color setup in a project.

1. Download the following image I have provided for you: http://www.trajectorylabs.com/palette_palm.bmp

2. Open with an editor like Paint Shop Pro

3. Save it out as a palette.

4. Open your image and load the palette (I use error diffusion dithering), you will see the colors adjust.

5. Add the adjusted image to your Orbforms application.

NOTES: Loading this palette is a good idea also for when you begin new artwork. You will find it helps make photo type images smoother also (it smooths the shading). This is for 256 color 8 bit .bmp images, support is coming in the near future for higher quality images, I will try to post a palette for the next level up when it becomes available.

It's good to optimize for all levels of color depth. It's especially a good idea to have the 1 bit B/W support. I can beam my game Scramble from my color Tungsten T to my B/W m105 and it adjusts nicely to the different device.

At lower color levels ie.:B/W it's a good idea to use shape more than color/shade to help users with your app. For example my color marbles turn into circles and crosses on the B/W devices.

Remember also color depth will affect load time, if you don't need alot of colors don't use them. Optimize, optimize, optimize! Here is some good info about bits per pixel/size/etc.:

Pixel Depth
Common Description
Image Size in bytes of 100x100 image

1 bit /pixel
Mono Black/White
1,250 Bytes

2 bits/pixel Mono
4 level gray
2,500 Bytes

4 bits/pixel Mono
16 level gray
5,000 Bytes

8 bits/pixel Mono
256 level gray
10,000 Bytes

8 bit Palettized
256 Colors out of a Palette of X colors
10,000 Bytes

12 bits color
4096 colors usually 4:4:4 bits per color
15,000 Bytes

16 bits color
65535 colors usually 5:6:5 bits per color
20,000 Bytes

24 bits color
16 Million colors
30,000 Bytes
trajecto

Postby jfield on Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, but the link to the bmp did not work for me (i.e. nothing would download).
jfield

Postby trajecto on Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:16 pm

You are welcome.

Right click on the link and do a "Save Target As..."

Otherwise your browser just tries to open it.

-Chris
trajecto

Postby trajecto on Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:39 pm

NOTE: The 2-bit (4-level grayscale) icons and bitmaps are supported in Palm OS 3.0 and later. The 4-bit (16-level grayscale) and 8-bit color icons and bitmaps are supported in Palm OS 3.5 and later. The 16-bit color icons and bitmaps are supported in Palm OS 4.0 and later.
trajecto

Postby trajecto on Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:22 am

I have made the 256 color palette file available so you wont have to create it, this is for Paintshop Pro, do a right-click to save it:
http://www.trajectorylabs.com/Palm256Palette.pal
trajecto

Postby trajecto on Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:08 pm

The palette works great for the new HD graphics!

If you are ever using any "photo" type images and having troubles with rough gradations try loading the above Palm Palette. It really helped mine 100%
trajecto

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect