Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Interested in OrbForms Designer

Interested in OrbForms Designer

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby FrankG on Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:07 pm

I've just discovered OrbForms Designer and it seems very interesting. I've read up and down the designer forum to see what is and what isn't (Thank you JField!) and have a few questions:

- I have several applications I've done in another platform and need to convert them to Palm OS5. If the OrbForms demo produces emulator-only code, why is it able to handle only two form apps? I'd like to really test drive converting my old code before committing to a platform change.

- Am I correct that:

1) there is no native table UI object? (I did see GearChart.prc implements a table somehow.)

2) There is no support for individually coloring UI objects...but I can draw in color and color BMPs are supported?

- How happy are folks with the performance of the stand alone applications?

Thank you! I hope these questions are okay as I did try to research first.

FrankG
FrankG

Postby troyk9 on Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:39 am

I must say Frank that I purchased pocket c fisrt. I bought a palm for some medical apps; I'm a pharmacist by trade. Using the apps was not enough for me so I bought the Andy Harris book and self taught myself pocket C. Then bought Pocket C with the PDE. Loved it! wrote with it. Then bought Orbs Designer - H A T E D IT!!!!!!!! Could not figure it out!!! Documentation stunk unless your're into programming. Finally I realized it's a version of Pocket C and now I write my apps in 1/2 the time. I have written everything from Healthcare Logistics to Pharmaceutical Kinetics programs that we use on a daily basis at work. I have some on my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/nj/troyk9/medical.html. Those are just some demos I wrote with both pocket c and orbsform designer. Jeremy and the forum have both been a great help to me. At work they think I am a genius because of what I enabled our medical staff to do with our palms. I am just a pharmacist who programs on the side as hobby in order to make work easier for me and my staff and I must say I LOVE BOTH POCKET C & ORBFORMS DESINGNER. They have both been a great investment. The alternative was to purchase Code Warrior and I have no intention of doing that when there are 2 such excellent and easy to use products out there for much less.

Michael Greenstein R.Ph.
troyk9

Postby FrankG on Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by troyk9</i>
<br />.... Then bought Pocket C with the PDE. Loved it! wrote with it. Then bought Orbs Designer - H A T E D IT!!!!!!!! Could not figure it out!!! Documentation stunk unless your're into programming. Finally I realized it's a version of Pocket C and now I write my apps in 1/2 the time. ....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Michael,

Porting applications relatively easily between PocketC and OrbForms is a nice advantage.

Thank you for your response and pointer to your Web page. I'll check out what you've done.

Frank
FrankG

Postby sgibson on Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FrankG</i>
<br />
- Am I correct that:

1) there is no native table UI object? (I did see GearChart.prc implements a table somehow.)

2) There is no support for individually coloring UI objects...but I can draw in color and color BMPs are supported?

- How happy are folks with the performance of the stand alone applications?

Frank, there is currently no UITable object. I don't know if one is planned for a future version of OrbForms or not (I hope so!!!). Jim Searle (jims) has created a gadget that emulates a table or scrollable list, so work-around solutions are possible.

As far as I can tell, you can't individually color UI objects. Color BMPs are supported.

Performance-wise I'm pretty satisfied. My apps don't do anything particularly challenging or intensive though. They just load and save records from a pdb. There is a bit of a delay in iterating through the records in my database, but not enough to be an aggravation to me. For instance, if I tap the "next record" button 10 times as quickly as I can, it'll take the app about 3-4 seconds or so to catch up. It is quite possible that there are ways to optimize this to speed things up, but I haven't really felt the need to attempt it yet. I also haven't pushed the envelope yet with a large number of records, so I don't know if performance degrades as the number of records increases.

As far as the language/compiler/ide goes: I love it. It is enough like C that it is very comfortable. And I have to say that I REALLY like the string type and the auto type-casting between text fields and integers or floats. The auto-completion feature for structs and functions is very handy too.

perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
-Steve
sgibson

Postby FrankG on Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgibson</i>
<br />
Frank, there is currently no UITable object. I don't know if one is planned for a future version of OrbForms or not (I hope so!!!). Jim Searle (jims) has created a gadget that emulates a table or scrollable list, so work-around solutions are possible.
Sounds good!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
As far as I can tell, you can't individually color UI objects. Color BMPs are supported.
I guess playing with the color palette or using a gadget might calm my color anxieties.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Performance-wise I'm pretty satisfied. ....
I think spending some of the time this weekend playing with the demo might be good to do. I hope I can get it unlocked should I decide to buy w/o waiting until Monday. ;)
As far as the language/compiler/ide goes: I love it. It is enough like C that it is very comfortable. And I have to say that I REALLY like the string type and the auto type-casting between text fields and integers or floats. The auto-completion feature for structs and functions is very handy too.
Can't wait to try it, although C <b>is</b> just prettied up assembler ;)

Thank you for your note,
Frank
FrankG

Postby Logic Land on Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:33 pm

Hi,

Fantastic value for money! My 12 year old son has already published his 1st utility and I use it myself to develop serial comms and various other applications.

Like every compiler and IDE it has its quirks, yes it would be nice to have more information, but after looking at the alternatives OrbForms seems to be the best solution by far.

Colin.
Logic Land

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect