Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - PDB->PC->text?

PDB->PC->text?

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby FrankG on Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:42 pm

What sort of elegant solutions are there for taking an OrbForms application's database from the handheld to a PC user usable form? I know I can set the database backup bit but that presents two problems:

- How do I or the user easily find the file in the backup folder? If by software, there's a requirement to get to the correct path, I guess that's Windows programming registry key retrieval related?? Once found, the PDB to text utility could be easily run but finding it might be a trick.

- Am I correct in that the backup bit stays on after the Hotsync? In that case, every sync the files get downloaded whether they're needed or not. Can my application tell that the file's been backed up and shut the bit off if the data doesn't get altered?

Is there any kind of generic conduit that'll download files of a specified creator ID? It seems to me I've seen one on Palmgear but my memory and searching aren't pulling up any hits. The advantage of a conduit would be to isolate the files in a specific folder when they're needed. At that point I can provide a PC based app or a BAT file to convert everything to text.

I'm curious as to how folks handle this.

Thanks,
Frank
FrankG

Postby nalonge on Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:39 am

Frank, I developed an application that tracks band lessons. I added a desktop reporting app that opens the backed up pdb file and creates an HTML report. You need to download the Palm CDK (Conduit Dev Kit). It contains everything you need to determine where the users root directory is, as well as determine if there are multiple HotSync users.

You can develope a conduit using C++, java or any COM dev tool (Visual Basic). The CDK is well documentated. I would be happy to send you some VB code if you like.

Hope this helps,
Nick
nalonge

Postby sgibson on Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:31 pm

Nick,

I'd love to see your VB code for finding and parsing your backed up PDB. I haven't gotten to that part with the app I've been working on and, since it is largley unknown territory to me, I've been dreading it.
You can email me at: steve AT unixgurus DOT com.

Thanks!
-Steve

perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
-Steve
sgibson

Postby FrankG on Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:33 pm

Nick,

I'm interested in seeing your VB conduit as well, please. Per my profile My e-mail id FGolazeski and the e-mail provider is Yahoo.com.

Sorry if this is a duplicate request, I had tried to send an e-mail via the Forums software but aren't sure it went through.

Thanks,
Frank
FrankG

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect