Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - [enh req] support hd images via '@bitmap'

[enh req] support hd images via '@bitmap'

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby design4use on Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:13 pm

Hi:

I love the new OS5 HD graphics stuff. On ething I'd like to see added is the ability to define HD images via the "@bitmap" instruction. so where I can say:

@bitmap Bitmap picBatt4 {
id = 5020
image1 = "img1.bmp"
image8 = "img8.bmp"
}

I should now be able to say:

@bitmap Bitmap picBatt4 {
id = 5020
image1 = "img1.bmp"
image1hd = "img1double.bmp"
image8 = "img8.bmp"
image8hd = "img8double.bmp"
}

I am using the "@bitmap" instrcutions often to embed bitmaps into class definition, which IMO makes for nice clean code. Thanks for listening and thatnks again for the great new features.

}
design4use

Postby dewey on Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:28 am

I forgot to document this. The new names are:
image16
imageh1
imageh2
imageh4
imageh8
imageh16
dewey
Site Admin

Postby design4use on Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:24 am

most excellent!
design4use

Postby design4use on Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:08 pm

Unfortuntely I do get a "(0 ): Internal compiler error"
when I try to add a image16 or imageh16 to the image definition inside a gadget. Commenting out the image16 or imageh16 line makes it compile again. Anything special I should look out for?

Images defined in the orbfile use the same syntax and work fine, but images defined that way in a gadget cause the above problems. Any ideas?
design4use

Postby design4use on Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:37 pm

more info:
after some more testing I was able to add image8 and imageh8 images via @bitmap, so it seems that only adding 16-bit images via @bitmap does not work
design4use

Postby design4use on Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:57 pm

There may be another maybe related bug:
If I have Bitmap containing both a 1-bit image and a 1-bit double density image, the 1-bit image gets distorted when drawn on a non-double density device (ie Treo).
Optically it looks like a portion of the image is drawn correctly but to the image is shifted to the left with the empty space on the right drawn in white and there are pixels drawn on top that aren't in the original image.
design4use

Postby dewey on Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:11 am

I see the bug where only image1 and imageh1 are specified, and will try to fix it in the next release. I cannot reproduce the image16 in @bitmap bug. Can you email me a project that demonstrates this? (whole project directory so I can build it, please).
dewey
Site Admin

Postby design4use on Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:20 pm

Did some more testing last night and it turns out that if I make the image a 24-bit BMP instead of a 16-bit one, it compiles. In some instances however, the app crashes on the Tungsten | W that I am testing on. It crashes right at the moment where it's supposed to draw that 24-bit image (the dialog "Fatal error" pops up on top of the unfinished drawing).
I have also seen the "image can't have more then 64k of bitmaps" when using larger 24-bit imges, but that one is a nice and friendly reminder that is easy to work around before compiling. The case above is not one of those.
I will try to destill it down to a small project with as few items as possible and send that to you today or tomorrow. Thanks in advance for looking into it.
design4use

Postby dewey on Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:05 am

The compiler does not support loading a 16-bit .bmp file (it is fairly non-standard), instead it converts a 24-bit .bmp file into a 16-bit Palm bitmap.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby design4use on Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:06 pm

OK so I was not able to reliably reproduce the 16-bit crash problem over the weekend in a small project. While testing though I found another bug with imageh16 bitmaps where 255,128,255 does not show as transparent (posted a new message to this board for that bug)
design4use

Postby FrankG on Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:45 pm

Okay, I'll bite. I'm trying to use a bitmap as a background in a project and maybe it's too much to try and do.

> I have also seen the "image can't have more then 64k of
> bitmaps" when using larger 24-bit imges, but that one is a
> nice and friendly reminder that is easy to work around
> before compiling.

I'm running into the 64K problem with a 16h image. I added the bmp to the project via the IDE and assigned a little 3K monochrome 1 bit 160x160 bitmap as the 1 bit image and a 54K 320x320 16 bit bmp as the 16h image. Why would the compiler kick it out for the 64k limit? What easy route is there to get around it? If I change the bmp file to 24 bits, it size grows to 300K which the compiler seems to dislike just as intently.

Thank you!
Frank
FrankG

Postby dewey on Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:32 am

The size of the Palm bitmap is not directly related to the size of the source bitmap. A 16-bit image is 2 bytes per pixel. 320x320x2 ~ 200KB. The official recommendation on the Palm programming forums is to split your large images into multiple smaller parts.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby FrankG on Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:12 am

Of course! Thank you for the tip.

Regards,
Frank
FrankG

Postby jstadolnik on Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:46 am

Orbforms really needs to do bitmap compression too. This can often shrink large bitmaps below the 65k byte resource size limit. Compression will also significantly reduce the memory footprint of bitmap heavy apps.

Additionally, all bitmaps imported through OrbForms are "transparent". The catch is that bitmaps actually draw slower with the transparency bit set. For graphically intense games this can be an issue. It would be preferable to have user specify whether a bitmap is transparent or not, and what color index is transparent.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby dewey on Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:03 am

I will add compressed bitmaps to the next OrbForms version, and suppress the transparent bit unless the bitmap has transparent areas. Since PDE shares the same code for created Palm databases, it will also get this upgrade.
dewey
Site Admin

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect