Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - My Splash Screen is dysfunctional.....

My Splash Screen is dysfunctional.....

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby Canz on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:50 pm

I have developped a splash screen which appears each time I start up the application and which is time limited. When running on my palm, I have experienced no problems, however when I run the program in with the Debug Rom in the palm emulator I get the following error:

Firstly, "My App just read from memory location 0x00005D50, which is in an unallocated chunk of memory..... An "unallocated chunk of memory" is a chunk of memory that has not been reserved for use by the application etc....."
second message:

"My App called SysFatalAlert with the message:"MemoryMgr.c, Line 4457, Free ptr".
The third message: "My App called Sys FatalAlert with the message": "Form.c Line 5665, Bad form"

Here the the code which is probably causing the problem:

// GLOBAL Variables For Modal Dialogboxes: to see when they exit
int myDialogClosed;
// GLOBAL Variables For My Splash Screen; to see whether to close on timer or button
int myDialogCloseOnTimer;

handler app.onstart() {

Preferences prefs;
// load the preferences

// load the main form perferences

// initialize the record manager
// start main program

mainForm.load();
DisplaySplashScreenCloseOnTimer();
}

void DisplaySplashScreenCloseOnTimer()
{

myDialogClosed = false;
myDialogCloseOnTimer=true;
StartUpSplashScreen.domodal();

while (!myDialogClosed)
events(true);

}

void DisplaySplashScreen()
{

myDialogClosed = false;
myDialogCloseOnTimer=false;
StartUpSplashScreen.domodal();

while (!myDialogClosed)
events(true);
}

handler StartUpSplashScreen.onopen() {
//TODO: handle event
if (myDialogCloseOnTimer==true)
timer(100);
}

handler StartUpSplashScreen.ontimer() {
StartUpSplashScreen.close();
}

handler StartUpSplashScreen.onclose() {
myDialogClosed=true;
//myDialogCloseOnTimer=false;
}

handler ButtonOK.onselect() {
if (myDialogCloseOnTimer==false)
StartUpSplashScreen.close();
}

I would appreciate your input. I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t really understand why I get memory allocation errors when I call the splash screen with the timer limit..... All the variables which the form accesses are global.
Am I not allowed to use the timer in this way? Any alternative ideas?

Best regards

Canz
Canz

Postby Canz on Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:15 pm

Greetings to all,

I have still not found an answer to my question. I was wondering whether, any one has more input or whether the question is not clear.

Regards and thanks for the suggestions

Canz
Canz

Postby nmc on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:25 pm

What I would try first is to open the splashscreen in mainForm, so that it will have a parent window - maybe thats the problem here.
nmc

Postby lazarus on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:45 am

Here is a solution which shows a nice little trick with the Form Designer. First, you will need to create and load a form splashForm as though it were your mainForm. Then, you can let splashForm display itself, and at the end, you load mainForm and continue with your app.

Here is the code:
<file splash.oc>

// application code

handler app.onstart() {
Preferences prefs;
splashForm.load();
}

<file splashForm.oc>

handler splashForm.onopen() {
splashForm.timer(500);
}

handler splashForm.ontimer() {
mainForm.load();
}

<file mainForm.oc>

// mainform.oc
// Created for mainForm

handler mainForm.onopen() {
// Your code from here on out ...
}

Basically, we intercept the normal flow with the splashForm, then continue. I added a bitmap and labels in my splashForm.
Now, here is a nice little trick. In the Form Designer, clear the "Title" text and watch the form change. With no text, the menu bar disappears. This creates the splash screen effect.
lazarus

Postby Canz on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks a lot, I will try

Canz
Canz

Postby c0d3m0nk3y on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:13 am

I know this isn't an answer to your question. but why are you having a timed splash screen? this is against palm standards, applications should load quickly, no needless waiting like splash screens.

---
Thanks for reading my message, Have a nice day!
---
Thanks for reading my message, Have a nice day!
c0d3m0nk3y

Postby Canz on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:59 am

I would just like to know how to build a time limited form. As for your comment regarding palm standards, and the criteria of "loading fast", I believe that they state that, if loading take a lot of time a counter must be displayed.
A counter again implies a timer.....
Additionally, "loading fast" to me has no clear definition.

I have not had time to update my current project with the code suggested by lazarus.
I will try later.

Best regards

Canz
Canz

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect