Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Importing Access Database

Importing Access Database

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby jlb0430 on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:53 am

Is there a way to import or convert either an Access db or csv to a Palm pdb?

I have an app that I wrote in VB and AppForge that looks up service providers by zipcode. There are three separate dbs for this app one of which has 65k records.

I would like to rewrite it using Orbforms to speed it up and also eliminate the booster file (their runtime file).

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Bonas
jlb0430

Postby nmc on Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:54 am

AFAIK orbforms comes with a csv to pdb converter, so you could use access to export your data to csv and then use the converter to create a pdb.
...but i doubt that it will be so easy, because 64K records is the palmos limit, so maybe you have to implement the conversion yourself, putting several access records into one palm record.
nmc

Postby jlb0430 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:54 am

Thanks for the response nmc.

I can't seem to find the converter that you mentioned.

Where can I find it? What does AFAIK stand for? I have OrbForms v.3.0.4. Is this the same as what you have?

Thanks,

Jeff
jlb0430

Postby jlb0430 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:04 am

Oops...

I just found orbpdb.exe in the OrbForms folder. I didn't look in this folder, I was looking in the IDE menus.

I will try this out in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for you help,

Jeff
jlb0430

Postby nmc on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:22 am

>Where can I find it?
You already found what I menat :-)

What does AFAIK stand for?
As Far As I Know
nmc

Postby jlb0430 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:26 pm

I converted two of the three databases I need for my app without any problems. The last database which is a list of all the US zip codes has three fields named zip, state, and county, and 42,111 records. The txt file is 1MB.

When I converted it like the other files, the pdb file was 1k and only had the name, type, and creator id.

Is the 64k limit for records or bytes? Does orbpdb.exe limit the size of the file? On the AppForge version of this app the zipcode pdb file is a little larger than the txt file and it works.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get all this data into a one pdb using OrbForms?

Thanks,

Jeff
jlb0430

Postby nmc on Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 pm

> and 42,111 records.
This will probably be the problem: if the converter treats NumberOfRecords as a signed int, this will fail.
But I know for sure that NumberOfRecords is treated as unsigned word by the OS (because I have databases with ober 50.000 records), so maybe Jeremy can fix this.

Until this is done, you can either implement your own pdb creator, or you could try to split the .csv into 2 or 3 pieces, convert them and afterwards use a tool to concat them (maybe pilRC or par can do this)
nmc

Postby jlb0430 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:14 pm

Thanks nmc,

I was toying around with splitting the db up into 2 or 3 files. As for the pdb creator, I can't find out what the format for the pdb file should be. Can you shed some light on how to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff
jlb0430

Postby Gazza on Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:58 am

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/pilot/pdb.txt
http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/ ... tml#972428

If I remember correctly, the pdb file format is sorted in Big-Endian, unlike the PC (Little-Endian) so you may have to write a conversion prog.
Gazza

Postby Cyplesma on Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:49 pm

if you haven't solved this already, here's an idea.

it will require changing your code though.

split each state's zip codes into their own database. ORBZIPXX.pdb

use ORBZIP as a prefix (or whatever) to keep from being confused with any other potential file names. Use the states initials where the XX is.

This will probably speed up the search process also.

You'll probably need a reference pdb file or hard code the first two digits (I belive the first two digits of the zip code are unique for each state) so that you can lookup the city & state if you have a zip code.
Cyplesma

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect