Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Shareware Program?

Shareware Program?

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby orbFan on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Hi. I'm new to programming and OrbForms is my first programming language. I'm a veterinarian from the Philippines, and I'm starting to enjoy creating little applications.

My main concern is HOW to make a SHAREWARE program out of OrbForms.

With OrbForm's Help File as my only source of instruction, I'm having a hard time understanding the concepts. But the sample codes provided by the author is helping me a lot.

I would appreciate it if somebody could share me a sample source code of a SHAREWARE program using OrbForms.

Please help me out on this.
orbFan

Postby mlambrigger on Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:12 pm

Just go on Handango or palmgear. They have possibility to sell your software. For the rest, you must choose the best way to make it a freeware, shareware or "payware".

Marc Lambrigger
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby orbFan on Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:11 pm

My mistake, Marc.
What I mean is how could I protect my program before submitting it as shareware? Would there be some means to lock or disable the program after some time? Please guide me.
Thanks for taking time to see my concern.
orbFan

Postby mlambrigger on Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:36 am

There's no real good way.

You can lock it with a counter in the preferences of the program or with an external database, but you did not protect when deleting and installing one more time.

You can protect the master database with the introduction of special things in the first record.

At the opening of the windows you implement a test to block or not the display. So the windows return directly or not (onopen handler). That's for shareware with limited function to the complet software.

I will try to implement something simple and transfer the project to you.

Marc Lambrigger
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby orbFan on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:09 pm

Thank you very much, Marc.
I'll be expecting the project.
:)
orbFan

Postby Gazza on Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Handmark have a way to protect their software, though asking them is like getting blood form a stone!

Once you delete all traces of the software for the palm, and re-install the app, the protection is still active. There must be an alternative?
Gazza

Postby mlambrigger on Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:53 pm

There is my method.

Everyone who want this can download the project at the following adress:

http://www.lambrigger.com/shareware/

Marc Lambrigger
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby orbFan on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:00 am

Thank you very much, Marc.
So sorry for this late reply. I've been out of town for 4 days.
I'll check it out once I get home tomorrow.
Thanks a lot. :)

Gerald
orbFan

Postby Neonapple on Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:20 pm

<i>Handmark has a way to protect their software, though asking them is like getting blood form a stone!</i>

Handmark is a label more than a development house anyway, they purchase software and then sell it, so each program would have its own protection scheme (although most have primitive counters as I have found out being a beta tester for them). I would recommend building it just enough to keep a typical consumer from being able to circumvent it. As we all know if someone wants it they will get it. Someone that is unwilling to pay for your program will most likely do without than pay for it.

Now, Handyent (Makers of Riverland and other screen savers) creates physical limitations rather than time bombs or counters. To register you have to enter in the code that is generated on the PDA and their website will generate an encrypted key bundled in a .pdb file which you have to load onto the device to unlock the features.

-Alex

A programmer is someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you don't understand.
-Alex

A programmer is someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you don't understand.
Neonapple

Postby orbFan on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:12 pm

I am writing again to thank Mr. Lambrigger for the very informative demo shareware program.
Though I had an extremely hard tme undestanding the use of #define and #if compiler directives, I finally understood the concept.
I made out my own database, incorporated a very simple encryption program to generate passwords (based on username), and then locked the availability of some buttons.
Thanks.
orbFan

Postby mlambrigger on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:57 pm

I have something to discuss with all the people who want to make sharewares or "pay for" programs.
I have soon imaginate that and discuss, but I have not the final system at these time.
Implementing an activation system based on a signature, the username, the serial number when aviable, a personal number for each developper, a program number for each program. With all those informations we can calculate a registration key. After the person have buyed the app, we give him(her) an activation key wich activate all the function of the program.
The problem is to implement a ash system to concatenate all those information on a limited part of the ascii table.
The best will be to develop a system in wich each time the key is controlled the app create a new registration key, a new activation key and a new control key. So it will be real hard to hack the system.

At term, this system can be used to encode information, encode bit stream information and so on.

If someone is interessed in, please contact me.

Marc Lambrigger
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby Neonapple on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:57 am

Adding too many elements to a registration scheme can cause you and the consumer headaches. Not everyone is technically savvy and they won't understand that each time they re-install an application that they must request a new key. I enjoy taking my programs with me when I change devices and the key just working based on my name on the device. If the user is forced to do a hard-reset such as developers. Having to request a new key can become a tedious process. Especially since you must respond to these emails promptly or having to develop an online automated system to do so.

-Alex

-Alex

Neonapple

Postby sangahm on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:16 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mlambrigger</i>
<br />There is my method.

Everyone who want this can download the project at the following adress:

http://www.lambrigger.com/~palmlamb/Shareware/

Marc Lambrigger
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Marc-

This link no longer works. Do you still have your framework available for download?
sangahm

Postby mlambrigger on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:44 am

You will find the doc at:

http://www.lambrigger.com/shareware/

Enjoy

Marc Lambrigger
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby sangahm on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:41 pm

thanks!
sangahm

Next