Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Card Game help

Card Game help

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby sangahm on Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:18 pm

I am interested in developing a simple card game to continue my understanding of programming. Can someone point me to code examples or open source that I can look at? Or is there a tutorial that shows how card games work (eg. arrays, pointers, etc)? I've been through the Palm Programming for Beginners book which was good but dated (for new Orb environments) and also no card game ideas.

Thanks.
sangahm

Postby FrankG on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:05 pm

You might want a generic game programming book. Anything specific to programming for a given operating system might not have the game algorithm information you want. You might find the kind of things you're looking for on the Web too. There are easy shuffling algorithms and probably some AI type schemes in case you're making a "play against the computer" type game -- all things that are beyond the scope of a how to program a Palm type book.

Two places I used to lurk around:

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~am ... eprog.html

and

http://www.gamedev.net/

Good luck -- I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)
Frank
FrankG

Postby sangahm on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:18 pm

Thanks for responding FrankG. I'll take a look.

BTW, I'm impressed by the types and quality of programs you have on your website.
sangahm

Postby FrankG on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:57 am

sangahm, Thank you for that comment! :) You inspired me to make and post some updates.

Regards,
Frank
FrankG

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect