Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Abandoned Compiler Not for Sale…

Abandoned Compiler Not for Sale…

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Abandoned Compiler Not for Sale…

Postby Neilf on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:19 am

The trouble with PocketC Architect is the compiler has poor type checking. I’ve used Borland for a long time, since high school, and I may be spoiled, cause the compiler issues plenty of warnings for every line in your code. Recently I hung up the new compiler for Palm for another product, which has over 85,000 users worldwide.

The mistake I made was simple, but the compiler doesn’t see it. When you use the dot operator, and bring the down object method in the popup menu, it doesn’t place the parenthesis AFTER the method on the line before the line
is terminated.

For example this line here >>> handler myMainform.load; {
alert(“ Welcome” );
}

This will compile, but will give you a blank screen on your palm pilot.

I don’t want to go through this again!! This has left me abandon this compiler for good.

-Neil.
Neilf

Re: Abandoned Compiler Not for Sale…

Postby Percival on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:18 pm

That code doesn't compile on my system.. :?:
UIForm.load isn't even a handler. Could you post the full source file?

I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up.
I have programmed for the palm in different languages using different compilers. Including Codewarrior (C/C++), Superwaba (Java), PocketC, PocketC Architect and experimented a little with cygwin/prc-tools, OnboardC and HB++ (Basic). Every language/compiler has it own quirks and problems. You just have to learn how to deal with the problems/bugs you may encounter. This is the same for every other language out there.
In my opinion, PocketC Architect (or Orbforms) is the easiest to use. It is powerful and has an easy to use language. And with the ability to use native add-ins, the experience I have with codewarrior is not waisted.

Anyways, enough of my story ;) My point is that I wish you could give Architect another chance, maybe your opinion about it will change. If not, then I wish you all the best with the other product.
Percival

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect