Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - new editor for PocketC: EditC

new editor for PocketC: EditC

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby Percival on Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:33 pm

Hi,

I've written a memo editor. An unfinished version can be found at: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/palm/EditC1.3.zip
I'm open to suggestions :)

About the PocketC logo, I want to add it in my program to launch PocketC. Am I allowed to use the logo without violating copyrights?

Jurgen

Update:
The editor can now be downloaded from:
http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fusea ... odID=51408

12 September 2004:
An alpha version of EditC with doc support can be downloaded here:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/palm/EditCDocAlpha.zip
See the last reply for more information.
Percival

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:40 pm

Nice job! This is great editor. I particular like the function bookmarks and the popup code selectors. The help bubbles are a nice touch.

POSE yields a number of errors on startup when EditC is scanning for memos. I also noticed an error on POSE when trying to handle a function bookmarks.

You should get Jeremy to make PocketC support this on goto-error lookups, so that this app gets called up when the complier finds syntax errors. You'd also have trap the launch code.

Other ideas: an over 4k memo size indicator, doc file support, text search & replace (regular expression support would be killer), more font options (even smaller fonts), text completion, menu options to add {},[],() and "" around selected text.

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby fletcher_the_dog on Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:58 pm

I get a fatal exception when I try to run this. What are the requirements for it to run correctly?
fletcher_the_dog

Postby Percival on Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:26 pm

To jstadolnik:
Thanks! I actually used the memo source from palm sdk 5 and added the features, so goto-error works if you rename it to "pedit". What I would really like is that you can choose a default editor in PocketC.
Which roms where you using when you got those errors? And what do you exactly mean by "regular expression support"?
That {},[],() and "" around selected text is a great idea btw :)

To fletcher_the_dog:
Which PalmOS version are you using? The requirements are PalmOS 3.5 and higher.
But there seems to be a problem with "ExgRegisterDatatype()" that gets called if you haven't launched the original Memo app before (only got this on PalmOS 3.5). Try to launch "Memo" in the main category, close and launch EditC again. Sorry, didn't cross my mind to try it out in that condition... I'll try to fix it.
Percival

Postby jstadolnik on Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I actually used the memo source from palm sdk 5 and added the features, so goto-error works if you rename it to "pedit". What I would really like is that you can choose a default editor in PocketC.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've harassed Jeremy about this a couple of times in the past. I would email him about it (dewey@orbworks.com).

Jeremy also need to add a "compile" launch code to PocketC so that 3rd party applications can initiate compiles.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Which roms where you using when you got those errors?

I'm ran it with an m505 (OS4.0) debugger rom with all debugging facilities enabled. Starting the memo pad first had no effect on the errors.

And what do you exactly mean by "regular expression support"?

It's an advanced form of pattern searching allowing you to do wildcarding, conditional matching, swapping, substitions, etc. It would be for advanced editing, but would likely add anywhere from 5 to 60k to your app depending on the package. Do search on google for "regular expression". Unfortunately some of the best RE packages are GPL'ed (but there are quite a few others). I would say that it's a low priority feature, a basic search & replace is far more important.

Here are some more suggestion: show line number of cursor, a goto-line menu option, a memo insert facility.

By the way, ExgRegisterDatatype() is only available on OS4 and up.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby Percival on Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:19 pm

Uploaded a new version with many fixes: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/EditC.zip

However, I found even more bugs on PalmOS 3.5 , so the requirements changed to PalmOS 4.0 and higher. But my intention was to support 3.5, I think I'll take the source of Memo pad from the 3.5 SDK instead.
Percival

Postby fletcher_the_dog on Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:08 pm

Percival,
I was using Palm OS 3.1. I guess that would explain why it didn't work. I agree with Joe, that PocketC needs a way for third party applications to launch compiles. I wrote Jeremy about it once. Maybe if enough people bug him about it, he will do it.
fletcher_the_dog

Postby g.palandri on Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:31 am

Percival,
I tried the editor and I liked it very much. I'm nou using SrcEdit (from OnBoardC), and so I agree with John's suggestions to treat .DOC files. I add another one: let the user to configure the wordwrap at the end of the screen (both QED and SrcEdit allow to edit lines longer that the screen, and it's so useful to best the source redability).

Bye,

--
Giorgio
--
Giorgio
g.palandri

Postby Neil on Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:03 am

Hi,
I tried your editor too. Very nice :) On Palm OS 4.1 Palm M515 the labels remain on the screen after tapping the item which makes the screen look a little untidy.

Nice job!

Regards,

Neil
Neil

Postby Percival on Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:24 pm

Hi Neil,

I've tested the program on a M515 device, but can't reproduce the label problem. Could you tell me what you did exactly?

Jurgen
Percival

Postby Neil on Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:37 am

Jurgen,

I'm just using it normally. But I have lots of hacks enabled. I'll try disabling the hacks and try and trace down the problem. There is one serious conflict between your app and SuperFinderHack. If you do a global search with the above mentioned hack enabled when it hits EditC it results in a fatal error without fail. Has anyone noticed this error.

Regards,

Neil
Neil

Postby Percival on Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:06 pm

Neil,

What a coincidence. fixed the global find error before I saw your post. It had nothing to do with your hacks. Have you found the cause yet for those popup label bugs?

I uploaded a new version at the same site again. Now you can find more information about a function by selecting it in the edit field and choosing "Reference" from the menu. I'm planning to popup a nagscreen only when you choose reference. (Registration is not implemented yet) Other functions will still function normally.

I have some exams coming soon, so development of EditC will pause for some time. When it's ready, I will upload it to PalmGear.

Jurgen
Percival

Postby Neil on Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:31 am

Hi Jurgen,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I couldn't get onto the forums yesterday. I have just re-installed EditC again. Those little pink tags are still there but a lot neater!!!! All Hacks disabled.

The global find bug is indeed fixed. I just tried it.

Let me know when you get it on PalmGear. This is a great learning tool for newbies.

Regards,

Neil
Neil

Postby Neil on Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:45 am

Jurgen,

Sorrry for the misunderstanding. After exiting EditC and starting up again The pink tags no longer stay on the screen. Something must have been left on the device from the previous install which has since been over written by the new one after exiting.

Neil
Neil

Postby soinsg on Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:59 pm

Is the compile launch code secure? What if someone made a malicious app/native library that overwrote (by recompiling) your installed applets? Although I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make a native library that would delete all installed applets anyway...

If it's based on the SDK-5 example then is it legal to sell it?

To be consistent with Memo Pad 3.0 I think "Goto top/bottom" should be in Options.
soinsg

Next

Return to PocketC for Palm OS