Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - new editor for PocketC: EditC

new editor for PocketC: EditC

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby jstadolnik on Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Is the compile launch code secure?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

First no such compile launch code exists (yet), but even if one did it would be no different than someone overwriting an existing app with the onboard PocketC comiler directly. Given that PocketC currently doesn't prompt you when you compile over an exist app, I can see how such a launch code would be less secure.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
What if someone made a malicious app/native library that overwrote (by recompiling) your installed applets? Although I guess it wouldn't be too hard to make a native library that would delete all installed applets anyway...

It's a rather trivial task to write an applications which blows away all datebook, address book, to-do, and memo entries. Any app which commita such an act of pda terrorism would get horrid reviews and no one would download it after the first few victims.

If it's based on the SDK-5 example then is it legal to sell it?

If the the app is named differently and provides genuine additional features, I can't see how it wouldn't be legal. Heck, Datebk5 and Agendus are both based on most of the pim source code and palm isn't banging on thier doors.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby Percival on Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:54 pm

Regarding the line numbering: Does PocketC count the end of line ('\n') characters for determining the line number of where an error is? That's what I guessed by experimenting with the compiler, but I want to make sure.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">To be consistent with Memo Pad 3.0 I think "Goto top/bottom" should be in Options.

Of all the Palm devices I had, Memo Pad didn't have such a feature. I was surprised to see it on an old ROM... Why is it removed?
"Goto top/bottom" fits better in the "Record" category, imho.
Percival

Postby dewey on Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:00 pm

I will be adding an editor selection option to the next version of PocketC, along with a launch code for starting compiles from an external editor. I'll start work on the next version once I wrap up OrbForms 2.2 (next few weeks).
dewey
Site Admin

Postby shurcooL on Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:56 pm

sweet. any ideas what kind of [other] things will be added? ;\ is there a list yet, or have you not decided this yet?

thanks,
shurcooL
thanks,
shurcooL
shurcooL

Postby Vilmos on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:21 pm

Gakked from the PalmSource SDK documentation

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The Software is licensed to be used on any personal computer and/or any
Palm OS platform product, provided that the Software is used only in
connection with your development of products for use with Palm OS
platform products. The Software contains certain sample source code in
the form of example applications (including several conduits) and code
fragments (both in the source code files and documentation provided
hereunder), and may include a tutorial application (collectively,
"Sample Source Code"). You may use the Sample Source Code internally to
develop products for Palm OS platform products. You may distribute any
such products built with the Sample Source Code, provided that you
include the following copyright notice within your source code and in
the location of your own copyright notice: "Portions copyright ?Ǭ©
1996-2002 PalmSource, Inc. or its subsidiaries. All rights reserved." <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So you can use it freely, you just need to add a copyright notice. There is lots more to the agreement and the whole thing should be read by a lawyer, but common consensus among developers is that you can use the samples because that is what they are there for.

Vilmos
http://www.pocketdimension.com
Vilmos

Postby Percival on Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info Vilmos. Added the copyright notice and (finally) uploaded it to palmgear.
Percival

Postby Percival on Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:32 pm

Hi again,

Due to a number of requests to support doc files, I completely rewrote EditC. This "preview" version only supports doc files (I do plan on integrating memo and doc support). It uses a different creator id, so it will not overwrite the memo version of EditC if it was installed.

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/palm/EditCDocAlpha.zip

Could you guys give your opinion about this new version? By the way, although I tested this app, running it from an emulator is recommended ;)
Percival

Postby IkilledKenny on Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Percival</i>
<br />Hi again,

Due to a number of requests to support doc files, I completely rewrote EditC. This "preview" version only supports doc files (I do plan on integrating memo and doc support). It uses a different creator id, so it will not overwrite the memo version of EditC if it was installed.

Could you guys give your opinion about this new version? By the way, although I tested this app, running it from an emulator is recommended ;)

This came with PktCReference.pdb which contains the referance info for EditC, I thought that, by overwitting this file EditC would support 6.6.0 like EditCDoc, but, alas, this didn't happen. I think that EditC has come as far as it can (It is a great application! I have the reged version). With the inclusion of the EditCDoc into the mix this would seem even more so true. I can see only one thing that you might need to consider doing, which is, to rewrite your app so that when a new version of PktCReference.pdb is detected the app automaticly begins to use this and to refreash the About form. This would mean that updates only have to be done to the PktCReference.pdb file and not the whole app. Also, if you are going to have the EditCDoc seperate from the original EditC you should have EditCDoc read the registration status of EditC. I know that you're not doing this for long though, but it still would have been a good idea. lol you had me hunting my reg code for hours (Thankfully the Reg code for EditC worked on EditCDoc!) I love the idea of being able to use a doc editor to write code, but I have found something that isn't so cool. When you want to overwrite a doc it says "Duplicate DB name." I would like to be able to overwrite docs! Also, there is no way of exiting the doc editor once your in. You have to make a new file. You have to open an old doc by useing the open command. I would like to have a done button so I can see all my docs on board my palm and edit them (like in EditC, but with EditCDoc.) All in all a good start here! Also, I have used this to create Dcos for iSilo that are not PocketC releated lol :-)

Also an import memo file(S) would be nice, so I could import my many-memo-files-apps into one doc file... or have the ability to use PDE files in EditC... This would take a PC2PDB converter tho right!?
Visit my site for Palm OS game cheats at:
http://www.palmcheaterguy.4t.com: A place for all your Palm OS Games Cheat Codes... And if you don't find the game you want to cheat on... simply send in the request from the form right on the site!!

"If you see kenny today, tell him I'm sorry for killin him yesterday."
--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby Percival on Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:22 pm

Hi IkilledKenny,
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IkilledKenny</i>
I can see only one thing that you might need to consider doing, which is, to rewrite your app so that when a new version of PktCReference.pdb is detected the app automaticly begins to use this and to refreash the About form. This would mean that updates only have to be done to the PktCReference.pdb file and not the whole app.
PktCReference.pdb is an optional file, while in EditC, the selectable code for inserting into the memo/doc is coded in the app itself. I could have the About form show the version in the reference file and the version in the app itself though.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">lol you had me hunting my reg code for hours (Thankfully the Reg code for EditC worked on EditCDoc!)
lol sorry for that, I will change it. You could always send me a mail if you need the reg. key again
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I would like to be able to overwrite docs!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sure, I will add this.
Also, there is no way of exiting the doc editor once your in. You have to make a new file. You have to open an old doc by useing the open command. I would like to have a done button so I can see all my docs on board my palm and edit them (like in EditC, but with EditCDoc.)
I don't really understand.. Choosing open will show all the docs. The currently opened doc will always be saved automatically.
Also an import memo file(S) would be nice, so I could import my many-memo-files-apps into one doc file... or have the ability to use PDE files in EditC... This would take a PC2PDB converter tho right!?
A PDE source file is just a text file right? You could rename it to something like filename.pc.txt and then convert it to doc.
Percival

Postby Atomo64 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:41 pm

I can't download it from http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/

http://www.atomo64.tk the best site
Atomo64

Postby IkilledKenny on Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:05 pm

This came with PktCReference.pdb which contains the referance info for EditC, I thought that, by overwitting this file EditC would support 6.6.0 like EditCDoc, but, alas, this didn't happen.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually this did happen. After overwritting this file, I found that EditC did have the reference for PocketC 6.6.0!! The only thing is that alertc and promptc didn't show up in the list of PocketC functions, nor did the about form of EditC change to show this.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think that EditC has come as far as it can (It is a great application! I have the reged version). With the inclusion of the EditCDoc into the mix this would seem even more so true.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is just wrong!! It was late when I wrote it lol sorry!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also, there is no way of exiting the doc editor once your in. You have to make a new file. You have to open an old doc by useing the open command. I would like to have a done button so I can see all my docs on board my palm and edit them (like in EditC, but with EditCDoc.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At the start up screen of EditCDoc, you have to open a doc file. You can't see the docs you have untill you choose open. I would like to have the open screen as the first screen... and when one exits EditCDoc have it save the changes to the open Doc and then close that doc. But this may just be me lol!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also an import memo file(S) would be nice, so I could import my many-memo-files-apps into one doc file... or have the ability to use PDE files in EditC... This would take a PC2PDB converter tho right!?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The PDE files are basicly a txt file. One can use iSiloWeb to save the .PC txt file (.PC files can be opened with notepad) as a .pdb file in iSilo format... which can be edited by EditCDoc. I thought of this the night I posted the reply, but because the hurricane that shares my (real) name knocked out my power for a few days, I was unable to post it. I would still like to see an onboard memo to doc import feature on the final release though, seeing as the Palm OS has a limit to the amount of information that can be stored on the clipboard for cut, copy, and paste operations.

Also, when I try and open doc files that has more than 8 files to them, it causes a reset... it even, a couple of times, caused a hard reset. I would like you to address this issue. This is the error I get:

Alph version of EditC 2.0 supports a maximum of 8 text records!

Fatal Alert
MemoryMgr.c, Line:4475
Ivalid chunck ptr

http://www.palmcheaterguy.4t.com: A place for all your Palm OS Games Cheat Codes... And if you don't find the game you want to cheat on... simply send in the request from the form right on the site!!

--Cartman

--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby Percival on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:22 pm

Updated EditCDoc can be found at http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/palm/EditCDocAlpha.zip
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I would like to be able to overwrite docs!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Added
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also, when I try and open doc files that has more than 8 files to them, it causes a reset... it even, a couple of times, caused a hard reset. I would like you to address this issue. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Fixed
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At the start up screen of EditCDoc, you have to open a doc file. You can't see the docs you have untill you choose open. I would like to have the open screen as the first screen... and when one exits EditCDoc have it save the changes to the open Doc and then close that doc. But this may just be me lol!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, I tried to make this like in Qed, which opens the last opened doc. Sorry, can't change it.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I would still like to see an onboard memo to doc import feature on the final release though, seeing as the Palm OS has a limit to the amount of information that can be stored on the clipboard for cut, copy, and paste operations.
memo import feature will be added

And Atomo64, have you read the whole topic? Anyway, I changed the link on the first page..
Percival

Postby IkilledKenny on Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Percival</i>
<br />Updated EditCDoc can be found at http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tljchung/palm/EditCDoc.zip

This link is going 404 on me... and the base site is in some other laguage other than English! Is that Dutch? I will download the alpha version... hopefully this is the update you talked about!

--Cartman

--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby IkilledKenny on Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:05 pm

This link works for the updated verion.

Also, I noticed that when one creates a new doc, it starts on the second line and not on the first... this is just plain annoying!

Also, I said earlier that iSiloWeb could be used to convert .pc to .pdb in iSilo format... This is true, however, EditCDoc cannot edit iSilo formats! I would like to see this in the future.

Thank for fixing the crash problem, and for the update! Keep 'em coming!

--Cartman

--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby Atomo64 on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:32 pm

sorry, it will be better if you add a syntax check, but at the moment, when you write, the program scan the code and check it, it's difficult add it, but it's better

http://www.atomo64.tk the best site
Atomo64

Previous

Return to PocketC for Palm OS