Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - waking up apps on timer-call

waking up apps on timer-call

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby Karuso on Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:26 am

Hi,
I have a problem which I guess a few others might have come across so I searched the board, but maybe used the wrong keywords, since I got no good hits. So here is my problem:

I?Ǭ¥d like to add a feature to my software, which will ring an alarm at certain times. The alarm part is working, but I want it to work as well when the palm is switched off or another program is called. How do I get my app to run in the background?

Regards,
CM
Karuso

Postby Mikael on Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:15 pm

See the reply given by Joe below to a similiar query:

PocketC currently does not support alarm management in any way... which is what you need.

It is possible to write a custom PocketC native library to do this, one which would probably would only work with your app. The problem is that when an alarm is triggered it has to call an application using a special launch code to pop a form. PocketC applets can't respond to these "launch codes". The trick is make a small application (with gcc/PRC-Tools or Codewarrior) which can pop a form in response to an alarm. You can then embed your native libarary code (which contains the PocketC interface calls) inside this application. So basically the native library .prc would also contain a small application. It's complicated, but the technique should work.

Joe

Mikael
Mikael

Postby Karuso on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:59 am

Oh boy, this sounds really complicated. Most of the things I?Ǭ¥ve not even heard of and wouldn?Ǭ¥t know how to do them. Native library embed...?
In my despair I also installed palmOS?Ǭ¥s new developer suite to see?Ǭ¥if I could rewrite my app in native code. But I must admit that everything looks so complicated that I, as a hobby programmer, am barely able to understand a simple program. Maybe they?Ǭ¥ll have a nice online tutorial with it - some day.
Nontheless, thanks for the quick reply!
Karuso

Return to PocketC for Palm OS