Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Displaying short videos

Displaying short videos

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby vpaulg on Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:34 pm

I've been using PToolbox to display short videos by displaying one frame after another. The bitmap files are large (when you add them all up).

Has anyone written a function I can call from PocketC that will display an animated GIF or other popular compressed video format on the PDA?

I've GOT to use less memory!

-
Paul Greenwood

V. Paul Greenwood
V. Paul Greenwood
vpaulg

Postby jstadolnik on Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:58 pm

Are you compressing the bitmaps? If not check out the COMPRESS bitmap switch available with PilRC. I think any bitmaps bound in by PDE are also compressed automatically (which isn't always desirable because uncompression takes processing time).

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby vpaulg on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:03 pm

I have not been compressing the bitmaps. I think I tried this some time ago and the compression still wasn't that good. BUT, I found a cool video display program called Kinoma. I can prepare my same videos for Kinoma with twice the resolution and in color (mine had been B&W) in the same space as I've been using. When I go B&W with 160x160 resolution we're talking about 20% of the original size. VERY nice!!!

So, now, can anyone help me call Kinoma from within my application? Is there a way to jump to another application and jump back in where I left off? I found the following that might help but I need to do this in PocketC.

--------------------------------

Launching Kinoma Player

Kinoma Tech Note #1

Updated: March 22, 2004 to fix launching when more than one movie is present.

Updated: November 5, 2002 to add launching from VFS

Initial version: July 31, 2002

Starting with version 1.1, Kinoma Player may be launched by other applications to open and play any Kinoma movie installed in main device memory. Beginning with version 1.5, Kinoma Player may also be launched to display a Kinoma movie stored anywhere on a VFS accessible storage device. This capability allows any Palm OS based application to use Kinoma Player to display video and still images encoded in the Kinoma movie format.

There are some items to keep in mind that apply to sub-launching Kinoma Player whether the movie to be displayed is stored in main device memory or on a VFS storage device:

1. Do not assume that when Kinoma Player completes playback of the movie that the user will return to the launching application. The user can use the hard buttons or silk screen buttons on their Palm handheld to launch another application.

2. The controls and other user interface elements of Kinoma Player can be hidden by encoding the movie in Kinoma Producer by specifying a custom layout in the Advanced Settings dialog.

Playing movies from main device memory

The standard Palm OS SysUIAppSwitch function with a launch code of sysAppLaunchCmdOpenDB is used to launch Kinoma Player to open a particular movie.

The following sample code function illustrates how to use SysUIAppSwitch to play a particular Kinoma movie. The sample code function launchKinomaMovieByName takes as its argument the name of the database to open.

//-------------------------------------------
// Calling launchKinomaMovieByName
//-------------------------------------------

// launch the Kinoma movie file named ?¢‚Ǩ?ìelephants?¢‚Ǩ
V. Paul Greenwood
vpaulg

Return to PocketC for Palm OS