Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - reading palm files

reading palm files

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby Bob on Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:56 pm

I would like to write some code which read text files residing on the palm.

Any pointers on examples, or where to start would be much appreciated thanks.
Bob

Postby dewey on Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:08 am

If you are talking about reading memo pad documents, using the Memo object. It is simple to use - check out the docs.

If you want to read text files off of an external card, use the VFS APIs (File, in particular). Let me know if you have any specific questions after looking over these objects.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby Bob on Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 pm

Thank you for your reply. My problem is as follows:

A device sends the palm a file via IrDA. The file contains a Database Header followed by comma delimited data.

I can access the file, but when I do:

while (dbpos() >= 0)
alert(dbread('s'));

All I see is gibberish. I assume this is the database header.

If I transfer the file to PC, it shows up as filename.PDB, and when opening it there is gibberish at the begining, followed by the comma delimited data.

If I do a dbwrite, then tranfer the file to my PC, whatever I wrote shows up after the header, but before the data.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dewey</i>
<br />If you are talking about reading memo pad documents, using the Memo object. It is simple to use - check out the docs.

If you want to read text files off of an external card, use the VFS APIs (File, in particular). Let me know if you have any specific questions after looking over these objects.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bob

Postby dewey on Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:02 am

All the data in a database is stored in records. It sounds like the database you are looking at may have more than one record, the last of which contains comma-separated values. Check the record count to see if this is true.
dewey
Site Admin

Return to PocketC for Palm OS