Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - rs232 instrument control w/bluetooth?

rs232 instrument control w/bluetooth?

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby sbrown on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice. I'm helping a professor friend of mine out on a geology project. I want to control an rs232 instrument (laser surveyors rangefinder -- which we bought on ebay) with a palm. I need to send ascii strings (ctl-x, ctl-y, etc) to the thing and it echos back a string about 20 characters long (spherical coordinates of the object sighted (r,bearing,inclination) relative to the device), which I want to save in a file for later parsing and downloading to a linux system. We are measuring topography. I would like to use a newer palm-one handheld with pocketc as the programming language and have the device sitting in a rugged otter box, since this is an outdoor application. Here are some questions:

Has anyone successfully used the pocketc rs232 serial commands with bluetooth? I saw a device "AIRcable Serial for Palm/Cli?ɬ©" (http://www.aircable.net/AIRcable/PalmSerial.html) which perhaps I could connect to the laser device and will presumbly receive bluetooth transmissions and convert them to rs232. Will this work?

The data rates are nothing extraordinary here -- at most 1 to 2 readings per second -- programmed in a loop. So I dont need a supercomputer.

I would like to save ascii files, so it would be best to have a palm with a removable flash memory of some sort. What are my options?

What is the best, but cheapest, new model palm I could use (I want ot to work, but I dont want to spend more than necessary)?

I thought about linux on an ipaq, programming with python, and all of that, but I just want to get this done relatively quickly and painlessly. I've used pocketc before a few years ago on a palm IIIe.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
sbrown

Postby KLATUBARARA on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:38 pm

GOOD TOOLADDR. TO KNOW THE TINY B-TH-CABLE-BOX.
IF YOU WANT TO GO OVER 120 YARDS.
THINK ABOUT A TINY HUB-WITH ETHER-NET PDA AND A BIG ANTENNA.

LAPTOP ACCESS AND TESTING WITH MORE USERS.
KLATUBARARA

Return to PocketC for Palm OS