Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - the infamous 4kb limit

the infamous 4kb limit

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby eshepard on Mon Apr 09, 2001 5:14 pm

My #1 desired PocketC feature would be the ability to put source in doc files (ie. > 4kb). This can't be that hard. What do you say, Orbworks?
eshepard

Postby Tom Miller on Mon Apr 09, 2001 11:31 pm

I whole-heartedly second that! I think there are a lot of people whose only choice is to do their coding/debugging on the Palm. And given that the DOC format is a de facto standard for Palm, it seems like it would be a great feature.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Miller

Postby Thad on Tue Apr 10, 2001 7:42 am

Counterpoint:

I have no problem organising my source code into <4k libraries.

If your modules are exceeding 4k in size you may have a design issue...

Thad
Thad
Thad

Postby SyPDA on Tue Apr 10, 2001 8:19 am

If you try to develop software with more than let's say 20 memos or so, you WILL get problems, no matter how good your design is... at least if you try to use libraries like CControl and PTL.

I started to develop a RPG tool and after having entered around 30 memos got to the point that the source gets extremely unreadable. This is not a design problem. Every memo contains only one submenu of the main program, so it is after all very structured. But the need for using the MemoPad (or any replacement) and having to switch constantly between seperate memos slows down the development process extremely.

I bought the desktop compiler and now have the problem, that once my sources reach a certain length, there is no possibility to transfer them to the palm for onboard editing.

The ability to read and compile DOCs would vastly expand the usability of PocketC.
SyPDA

Postby Tom Miller on Tue Apr 10, 2001 2:09 pm

It's not a matter of poor code organization, or a failure to break up code into modules<4k. Say I want to rename a global variable in a program. I have to go into each memo separately and perform a find/replace, even if the variable isn't in every memo of that program. Or say I want to jump to a certain function definition. I could enter the first few characters of the function name in the global "Find", but since it would list all the memos where the function is called, too, I have to go in and out of each one, performing the "Find" each time, remembering which memos I've checked, check the next one, until I find what I'm looking for.

It's not disorganization that makes the 4k barrier a problem, but rather it's the 4k barrier that causes disorganization.

Regards,
Tom Miller
Tom Miller

Postby iebnn on Tue Apr 10, 2001 9:47 pm

Couldn't you just use a Memopad replacement that breaks the 4k barrier?
My company, Green Dragon Software.com, will be developing one soon.
iebnn

Postby Velvis on Wed Apr 11, 2001 6:47 pm

Can pedit pro do this? I know pedit is supported by PocketC (I use the regular pedit) but can you use the pro version that breaks the 4K barrier?
I would assume Paul (pedits author) and Jeremy could work something out.
Velvis

Postby SyPDA on Wed Apr 11, 2001 7:04 pm

As far as I know pedit can break the 4k limit and PocketC does compile memos up to 32k.
SyPDA

Postby slmiller on Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:58 pm

What I would like to see is an editor that color-coded text. It could also break the 4k limit. It seems to me that this could be fairly simply done in PocketC using some sort of note function such as the one in PToolbox. Such a program could also have a "compile" button to automatically jump into PocketC and compile the code. Anyone currently working on something like this?

Duct tape is The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
"To beer. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
slmiller

Postby pilznr on Thu Apr 12, 2001 10:26 pm

You could try Cryptopad which is a Memopad replacement
http://www.multimania.com/mlabelle/
It's free and it will support memos up to 64k but I don't
think you can sync because the memos will still be truncated at 4k.
pilznr

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:51 am

Here is some more info...

1) PocketC is currently designed to work with the built-in Memo Pad and the Pedit family of editors. When you get an error while compiling, PocketC can optionally call up one of these editors (Pedit takes precidence if it is installed) and show the violating section of code. PocketC currently will not do this with other editors.

2) The Memo Pad app can view (but not edit) memos larger than 4k (up to 32k)

3) Editable text fields created with the Palm API are limited to 32k in size. Anything larger causes fatal errors. Though you can view larger records (up to 65k) provided that the field is not editable. (Apps which allow editing of records larger than 32k are not using the palm text field API calls.)

4) The Note function in the toolbox lib allows editing up to 32k and viewing up to 65k (if the disable-edit bit is set).

5) The palm text field API does not support colored text within fields (though apps which don't use the API for fields are not limited by this).

I agree, doc file support is needed for PocketC.

Joe

Edited by - jstadolnik on 04/12/2001 21:07:22
jstadolnik

Postby Vilmos on Fri Apr 13, 2001 12:52 pm

While we are talking about wish lists, a condiut from the editor of choice to the PocketC Desktop edition would also be very nice. :)

Vilmos
Vilmos

Return to PocketC for Palm OS