Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - trouble getting emulator

trouble getting emulator

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby fembot1966 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi,

I have the free demo versions of PocketC and PocketC Desktop Editions and am having great fun playing with them. But it's a bit tedious to code on my desktop and have to sync it across to compile and execute it. Apparently there's something called an emulator which will allow me to simulate the Palm on my desktop.

I asked about this fabled 'emulator' and was told it's on the ACCESS web site. I went there, but all they talk about is the Garnet OS. Is this the new Palm OS? They have a Garnet emulator available on CD but want $20US for it. Can i download a Palm emulator from some where for free? They said recent versions were on 'your device site' but if it's on Palm.com i couldn't find it.

This isn't an insurmountable problem is it? I can't do a whole application coding on the desktop, syncing and yanking the Palm out of the cradle! My arm is sore already!

Thanks.
fembot1966

Postby sangahm on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 am

Look for the simulator. The emulator was for older Palm devices. After registering on the Access site, you should be able to download at no charge.

I believe there was a similar discussion in this forum in the last 6-10 months. Do a search and see if you can find it.
sangahm

Postby fembot1966 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:53 am

Hi Sanghm,

Thanks for your reply, but i am still stumped. I went to the ACCESS site and searched for 'simulator' but it just bumped me to a bunch of documents and said the download was available from Palm.com. When i go there and search it doesn't find it. I searched these forums for the discussion you mentioned but out of about ten messages found only a few dealt with the emulator/simulator and none of them applied to *how to get the damn thing*.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
fembot1966

Postby dewey on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:00 am

Their site sucks. Log into http://www.developerpavilion.com. Click on "Garnet OS Development Tools" on the right side. (If you click the "downloads and tools" link on the navigation pane on the left, it kicks you back out of the dev pavilion. Nice plan.)

From there, you will see the link to the Simulator page.

Easier: just log into the site and then use this link:
https://www.developerpavilion.com/palmos/page.asp?page_id=365&tool_id=8
dewey
Site Admin

Postby palmosm130 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:22 am

For the life of me, I can't seem to find a way to add any of my memos to this simulator.

Kirk P Lawrence
Kirk P Lawrence
palmosm130

Postby samps on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:12 am

If you have the memos on your Palm then sync them to the Palm Desktop and from there, sync them to the simulator. The first bit you already know how to do, the second goes a bit like this:

1. Rightclick on the Hotsync Managers Notification area icon and place a tick at the 'Network' option.
2. Rightclick on the icon again and choose 'Setup'.
3. On the dialogue that comes up, locate the 'Network' tab and place a tick at the name of the user(s) you want to sync to the simulator
4. Click on the button marked 'TCP/IP Settings' to find out what IP-address and hostname your computer is using
5. Start the Palm Simulator
6. Right-click anywhere on the simulator and choose 'Settings', 'Communications' and tick the 'Redirect NetLib calls to Hosts TCP/IP' option.
7. Start the Hotsync application on the simulator
8. Open the 'Options' menu, choose 'Primary PC Setup' and enter the TCP/IP settings of your computer (the ones you found under network settings in the Hotsync Manager)
8.5. Click 'Modem Sync Prefs' and click the 'Network' button
9. Click the 'Modem Hotsync' button and choose a service from the dropdown list (or create a new one in 'Prefs', 'Communication'), change it's name to something memorable and set the phone number to 0 (zero)
10. Click the Hotsync icon and you'll be asked for a username to synchronise (if your Simulator hasn't already got one) and away you go.

have fun
Samps
Ubuntu user #82
samps

Postby sangahm on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 am

Wow, thanks for that detailed information. I've often wondered if this could be done, but didn't spend the time to try and figure it out.
sangahm

Postby FrankG on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 am

Yeah samps -- thank you for that!

Frank
FrankG

Postby palmosm130 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:23 pm

thank you samps

Kirk P Lawrence
Kirk P Lawrence
palmosm130

Return to PocketC for Palm OS