Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Problem BuildPRC

Problem BuildPRC

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby jverb on Wed May 09, 2001 4:31 pm

Hi, I've built a small app that I want to distribute with the PocketC Runtime app. I used BuildPRC.exe to make a .prc file of my app, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I hotsync'ed the app to the target Palm device, but when I run it, the error message says "Error loading applet 'AYB'" with an OK button. If I click the OK button, the same error message pops up again and again.

I also loaded the PDB file of the app onto the target Palm device, and I can run the app directly from PocketC, but not as a stand-alone app from Launcher. I even tried the whole process with hello.c, and I get the same results.

Has anyone seen this problem before? What could I have done wrong? Is there a better tutorial for BuildPRC? It seems like a no-brainer, but I somehow messed it up.

Thanks in advance.

John
jverb

Postby wossname on Sat May 12, 2001 7:28 am

From what I can gather, you need to have the compiled applet on the device. BuildPRC is a bit of a misleading name, the PRC that it creates is more like a shortcut (in windows) that points to PocketC and in particular, the applet in question.

Wossname :)
Are you <i>local</i>?
wossname

Postby jverb on Mon May 14, 2001 9:58 am

Right. I did that. Here's the steps I go through. (I have two pilots, one with the PocketC compiler, one with the Runtime only).

1. Compile the source on the PocketC compiler.
2. Check the Backup bit on the newly created compiled app.
3. Hotsync the newly compiled app to the desktop.
4. Run BuildPRC on the desktop, filling in entries for PDB file, output file, icons, name and version.
5. Mark both Compiled app (the pdb file) and the launchable PRC file to the secondary Palm which only has the Runtime PocketC on it.

- If I run the app directly from PocketC runtime, it works. If I run it from the Palmos launcher, by taping the icon, I get the error I mentioned above.

Is anyone else even using this method to create applications? Or is everyone else using the desktop compiler?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
From what I can gather, you need to have the compiled applet on the device. BuildPRC is a bit of a misleading name, the PRC that it creates is more like a shortcut (in windows) that points to PocketC and in particular, the applet in question.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
jverb

Postby jverb on Mon May 14, 2001 10:00 am

(And obviously, insert step 6 above:
- Hotsync to the Palm with the runtime PocketC environment.)
jverb

Postby slmiller on Mon May 14, 2001 12:26 pm

I have done exactly those steps with no problems. I do all my work on the palm while on the road, and I've had no problems using BuildPRC. When I want to create a launcher stub, I do exactly what you describe in your steps. It works every time. My only guess is that you are somehow not pointing the program that creates the PRC to the correct PDB file for your applet. Or perhaps you've changed the name of your applet, and not the name that the stub is looking for. It is an odd problem.

Duct tape is The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
"To beer. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson
slmiller

Postby awschwab on Mon May 14, 2001 1:53 pm

Have you checked to make sure you are running the same versions of the compiler and each library on both devices?

You may also want to delete your app, and then reinstall it, since I've found that sometimes installing on top of the broken one does not work.
awschwab

Postby jverb on Wed May 16, 2001 3:19 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for helping figure out
the problem. I just got an email back from
Jeremy Dewey with the following fix:

>In the name field of the BuildPRC window you >must specify the name of the applet exactly >as it appears in the PocketC window. So, if >the source code to your app starts with: > > // My App > > The name field must contain "My App"

This worked. I was giving the PRC a nifty
new name, and didn't realize it had to match
the source file's name. Now I understand.

Thanks.
jverb

Return to PocketC for Palm OS