Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Alarm Clock App

Alarm Clock App

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby ruthrauff on Tue Jul 03, 2001 6:23 pm

I'm trying to write an aplication to work like an alarm clock, but I have one major hurtle and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it.

Is there a way to get a PocketC program to launch while the Palm is turned off. And if so is there a way to get it to do it at a certin time? I really want to make an alarm clock app, but if I can't get it to alarm at the start time if the palm is turned off then it doesn't do me any good.
ruthrauff

Postby jstadolnik on Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:49 am

PocketC currently does not support alarm management in any way... which is what you need.

It is possible to write a custom PocketC native library to do this, one which would probably would only work with your app. The problem is that when an alarm is triggered it has to call an application using a special launch code to pop a form. PocketC applets can't respond to these "launch codes". The trick is make a small application (with gcc/PRC-Tools or Codewarrior) which can pop a form in response to an alarm. You can then embed your native libarary code (which contains the PocketC interface calls) inside this application. So basically the native library .prc would also contain a small application. It's complicated, but the technique should work.

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby ruthrauff on Wed Jul 04, 2001 5:05 am

Well I'm using the PocketC Desktop edition. It has the ability to create "stand alone" apps. It just embed the runtime into the app. Would that beable to respond to the "launch codes"?

Heck is there any chance that this ability will make it into a future version of PocketC. I was sort of hoping all I would need to do is modify some system wide "Alarm" database. Something where all I needed to do was addin a record that said at this time on this day launch this app. But I'm new to Palm Program and don't really know what the system / hardware all that well yet.
ruthrauff

Postby jstadolnik on Wed Jul 04, 2001 1:32 pm

Stand alone applets cannot handle special launch codes and thus cannot themselves handle alarms.

Joe
jstadolnik

Postby Velvis on Mon Jul 09, 2001 10:43 am

I would suggest trying to write this program in Palm native C. It seems simple enough of a program that it would be a good starting point for "real" PalmOS programming.
Velvis

Postby ruthrauff on Sun Jul 15, 2001 8:46 am

Yeah I will be. It's nothing huge, I just didn't want to spend money on Code Warrior. I don't like the GCC stuff for personal reasons, and since PocketC is only $20 I was hoping to get this sort of thing working with pocketC. Thanks for the advice.
ruthrauff

Postby Velvis on Sun Jul 15, 2001 3:35 pm

If your GCC problems are related to the setup/ease of use issues there are a number of third party IDE's that work on top of GCC which effectively makes it much more easier to use and more "mainstream" (ie no command line stuff etc.) Some say it's better than Codewarrior.

Some provide great documentation for setting it all up and I think one of them starts $20 too.
Velvis

Postby stauffelect on Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:21 pm

Hello ruthrauf
Did you ever figure this out,I would like to do this to.
Maybe you could use OnboardC to create a Hack just to launch and do the rest with PocketC but I dont know how to do this.

Thanks Marvin stauffelect@aol.com
stauffelect

Postby Karuso on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:29 am

Hi,
I got the same problem with the alarm. But now palmOS relased their own development kit which is for free. But I guess one should have good C/C++ knowledge to write even a simple app:evil:. Try the palm developer suite:
http://www.palmos.com/dev/dl/dl_tools/
I would be happy if the orbworks people would do a rewrite of their great software and integrate structures and alarm support. Then I would be a very happy person:-)
I would be really happy about pocketC++
Sorry for trailing a bit off topic here,
cm
Karuso

Return to PocketC for Palm OS