Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - EVAL Function in PocketC??? String to Integer??

EVAL Function in PocketC??? String to Integer??

Discuss PocketC for CE (including Desktop Edition)

Postby bopin on Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:46 am

suppose this:
string a;
int b,c;
b=7;
c=5;
a="b+c"
where b=7 and c=5
I need a function like Eval in order to convert the string "b+c" into 7+5 where the result is 12
bopin

Postby darwin on Tue Jan 16, 2001 4:54 am

What you need is a parser I think. This is not very easy. I have made some tries, but it never worked very good. One method could be:

string str;
str = "3*(4+3*(2-1))";

Ok. I would handle it like that: I would search for the most inner brackets, then, I would calculate the term (2-1), reinsert it, then get the outer bracket (4+3*1) calculate it, reinsert it and calculate the remaining term...
To calculate it, you will have to find two numbers and calculate it with the operator between them. You will neeed a lot of string operations. Or you read the whole term into the memory what would be faster, but would need more work...

Or you search for a c-algorithm. I don't know where to find one. If you are lucky, you could tell me, because I am interested in this, too...

Eike

http://www.strange-phenomenom.de/newp/pocketc.htm
darwin

Postby guy on Tue Jan 16, 2001 8:27 am

You just need a simple state machine with a state table that describes the grammar for the expressions that you want to parse.

Each state transition can be accompanied by an action routine, those that represent the completion of a token result in the insertion of the token into a tree.

Once you've finished the expression and have the tree you just walk it in order of operator precedence evaluating the nodes and replacing them with their result. When you've finished you have a single node containing the result of the expression.

The difficulty that you have in your example is that the PocketC variables and the variables inside your expressions are in a different scope. The PocketC variable names don't even exist at run time.

If you need to include variables in your expressions as well as constants, then you need to extend the parser to include a symbol table for variables that is preserved across calls to the eval function. You can then support an assignment operator in your state machine.

To make this work you need your tree to store both "lvalue" and "rvalue" values for nodes. The lvalue is the address in your symbol table where the variable lives, the rvalue is its actual value.

Once you have the symbol table and state table then you can simply call:

Eval("b=7") ;
Eval("c=5") ;
a=Eval("b+c") ;
Eval("a=" + a) ;

You could probably build the code and tables for this using yacc, then convert the code from C to PocketC.

Guy
Guy
[url]mailto:pcform@pcform.net[/url]
http://www.pcform.net
PocketC CE API interface: http://www.networkdynamics.net/PCForm.html#library
PCForm and CE API forum: http://www.networkdynamics.net/forum
guy

Postby Chris Kelly on Fri Feb 09, 2001 11:52 am

Somewhere I've got a Numerical Integrator I wrote for class. It's capable of taking single-variable input equations in algebraic (or rpn), converting to rpn, and stack-processing them. I don't see why it wouldn't for for multi-variables. You'd have to convert it to PocketC :D Is it possible to attach files here?

Chris
Chris Kelly

Postby Chris Kelly on Fri Feb 09, 2001 12:05 pm

Okay, I'm gonna try to include the code...
Oh, I forgot, it was an MPI project. Just strip all that crap out...
Chris

/***********************************************************
* Program: num_int.c
* Name: Chris Kelly - kelly@cs.utk.edu
* Date: 11/14/99
* Class: CS140 - 31788 - Wed. 5:45-8:35 - Lab 8
* Description: This program uses MPI to parallel-process
* a large problem. I have no idea what problem
* at this time, probably computing pi or
* some such. Okay, I've decided what to do. I'm
* gonna set it up to process a segment of a
* given function, expressed in RPN. Yep, good
* ol' numerical integration. If time
* allows, I'll use the process in ch. 3.3 to
* translate algebraic to RPN, making it slicker.
***********************************************************/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>
#include <string.h>

#define TRUE 1
#define FALSE 0

float evaluate (char *, float);
void alg(char *);

main(int argc,char *argv[]) {

int rank,size,tag=0,retval,i,source;
char expr[40],mode[4];
MPI_Status sts;
float area,seg,myrange,eachseg,mystart,mystop,f,limits[3];
float temp;

retval = MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);
retval = MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&size);
retval = MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&rank);

/* find out who we are */

if (rank == 0) { /* we're boss, divvy up the work */
printf("Need Help? (y/n) ");
scanf("%s",expr);
if (expr[0] == 'y') {
printf("This program calculates the area under a \n");
printf("expression, between given limits, by adding\n");
printf("up the requested number of calculated rect-\n");
printf("angles. Just like in the calculus book, the\n");
printf("expression must be a FUNCTION, and it must\n");
printf("be CONTINUOUS between the given limits.\n");
printf("I only support +-/* , x and SINGLE digits.\n");
printf("The expression is entered in RPN or Algebraic,\n");
printf("Algebraic supports parenthesis, but the RPN\n");
printf("is more stable -\n");
printf("e.g. RPN 2x*x*3x*+2+\n\n");
printf("e.g. Alg 2*x*x+3*x+2\n\n");
printf("Note - unary minus not supported.\n\n");
}
printf("Will expression be in (r)pn or (a)lgebraic :");
scanf("%s",mode);
printf("Enter expression (NO SPACES) :");
scanf("%s",expr);
printf("Enter beginning of interval :");
scanf("%f",&limits[0]);
printf("Enter end of interval :");
scanf("%f",&temp);
limits[1]=(double) temp;
printf("Enter # of slices per processor :");
scanf("%f",&limits[2]);
if (mode[0] == 'a')
alg(expr);
for (i=1;i<size;i++) {
MPI_Send(expr,40,MPI_CHAR,i,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD);
MPI_Send(limits,3,MPI_FLOAT,i,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD);
}
area = 0.;
for (i = 1;i<size;i++) {
MPI_Recv(&seg,1,MPI_FLOAT,i,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,&sts);
area = area + seg;
}
printf("The area under the function is %f\n",area);
}
else { /* slave, accept work */
MPI_Recv(expr,40,MPI_CHAR,0,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,&sts);
MPI_Recv(limits,3,MPI_FLOAT,0,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,&sts);
myrange = limits[1] - limits[0];
eachseg = myrange/(size-1);
mystart = limits[0] + (rank-1)*eachseg;
mystop = mystart + eachseg;
area = 0.0;
for (f=mystart;f<mystop;f=f+eachseg/limits[2]) {
area = area + eachseg/limits[2] * evaluate(expr,f);
}
MPI_Send(&area,1,MPI_FLOAT,0,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD);

}
retval = MPI_Finalize();
}

/**********************************
* evaluate - figure out value of given
* RPN function at given point
* WARNING - this sucker does NO error
* checking! expression MUST be right!
* code is mine, but concept is from
* Weiss text, page 72.
**********************************/

float evaluate (char *expr, float x) {

float stack[30];
int ptr=0,i;

for (i = 0; i<(strlen(expr));i++) {
if (expr[i] == ' ') {
/* ignore for now */
}
if (expr[i] == 'x') {
/* move current val onto stack */
stack[ptr] = x;
ptr++;
}
if ((expr[i] >= '0') && (expr[i] <='9')) {
/* is digit, stack it as value */
stack[ptr] = (int)expr[i] - 48;
ptr++;
}
if (expr[i] == '+') {
/* is add, add two vals on stack */
stack[ptr-2]=stack[ptr-2]+stack[ptr-1];
ptr = ptr -1;
}
if (expr[i] == '-') {
/* is minus, subtract two vals on stack */
stack[ptr-2]=stack[ptr-2]-stack[ptr-1];
ptr = ptr -1;
}
if (expr[i] == '*') {
/* is asterisk, multiply two vals on stack */
stack[ptr-2]=stack[ptr-2]*stack[ptr-1];
ptr = ptr -1;
}
if (expr[i] == '/') {
/* is slash, divide two vals on stack */
stack[ptr-2]=stack[ptr-2]/stack[ptr-1];
ptr = ptr -1;
}
}
if (ptr != 1) {
printf("Evaluate - stack failure!\n");
exit();
}
return(stack[0]);
}
/***********************************
* alg - infix->postfix converter -
* this damn routine was harder than the MPI!
* the code is mine, but the process comes
* from Weiss pg. 74.
***********************************/
void alg(char *expr) {

char expr2[40];
char stack[20];

int i,sptr = 0,eptr = 0,val,done = 0,sval;

for (i = 0; i<(strlen(expr));i++) {
val = 0;
if (expr[i] == ' ') {
/* ignore for now */
}