Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Possible Bug in PDE?

Possible Bug in PDE?

Postby Alan Jones on Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:20 pm

Is there a limit to the size of an app compiled with PDE?
The compiled size is 113K with about 9000 lines of code in a dozen seperate files.
When it compiles it sends the cursor to the end of the 'main' file the next time I compile it exits with a page fault in kernal32. If I comment out ANY line it compiles but if I add a line or uncomment a line it fails.
Any suggestions?
Alan Jones

Postby jstadolnik on Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:12 pm

Yes, there is a limit and you are likely hitting it. Each app is limited to a 65k "data" segment and a 65k "code" segment. If you crack open your app's .prc file with RsrcEdit and look at the size of the PCpc resources (there are four). The PCpc1001 one is the "code" resource and the PCpc1003 is the data resource. If either one of these is near 65k the problem is that you are hitting the PocketC compiler ceiling.

I would suggest emailing Jeremy (dewey@orbworks.com) about your problem, but I suspect there's not much he can do without quite a bit of work.

Failing that, you have two options: 1) switch to a different development platform and start from scratch, 2) create a native library and off-load as much of your app's functionality into it.

The native library route is the easier the two paths if have no previous experience with developing palm apps with gcc or Codewarrior. Check out the native library links on the main pocketC palm resource page.

In the next two weeks, there will a string PToolbox releases, one of which will have a new "plug-in" architecture which will allow users to write native plug-in modules with gcc or codewarrior. These plug-ins are similiar to native libraries, except that they are easier to write.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby Alan Jones on Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Yes, there is a limit and you are likely hitting it.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Shame the PDE didn't fail in a more 'friendly' way. It would have saved me a day looking for the problem (thinking it was me missing a brace or something!).
Thanks for the advice I will see what I can offload.
Alan Jones

Postby jstadolnik on Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:53 pm

I would definitely send Jeremy an email about adding a warning about that. I suspect that few to date have hit that limit, but I'm sure others in the future will.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB