Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - I need advice on making apps...

I need advice on making apps...

Postby visorprismman on Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:33 pm

Hey,

Is there a way to make a tetris type game or a minesweeper game in pocketc? Just want to know what are the limitations. If someone can lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I already have the book palm programming for the absolute beginner.

Cheers
Cheers
visorprismman

Postby palmdog on Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:35 pm

you sure can. Having only made games using pocketc, I've only heard that you may find limitations in the speed. Thusly, trying to make a game that requires a lot of things going on at the same time (Zap!2000 comes to mind) you may be limited. something as simple as minesweeper could very easily be done using pocketc, though.

here are two games i made using pocketc and ptoolboxlib (both are turn-based, that is, there is no "live action" going on):

http://www.palmgear.com/software/showso ... odID=44232
http://www.palmgear.com/software/showso ... odID=45409

hope that helps

Ryan Palmer
palmdog

Postby igsoft on Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:45 am

It's true that there are some speed limitations in PocketC, but you can still make a good game without millions of graphics... I'm personally making a RPG game starting from 0(without graphics but it will come after...).<b>There are no limits and remembre ! We can always do better...</b>
igsoft

Postby igsoft on Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:54 am

ERF...I'm forgetting to write something:
To make a minesweeper type game, you'd better combinate the: event(); penx(); peny(); hookhard(); functions:
===================
main(){
hookhard(1);
event(1)
if ((penx()>0)&&(penx()<100)){
if ((peny()>0)&&(peny()<100)){
//put here the code to execute if the user clicks with the pen in the 100*100 square
}
}
if(event(1)==/*7 to 10 for the four buttons: agenda/adress/todo/memo*/){
//do what you want when the user presses the button that you used for if statement.
}
}
igsoft

Postby soinsg on Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:08 pm

I always find this is easier:
Code: Select all
#define LEFT  7
#define RIGHT 8
#defi...

switch(event(1)) {
case LEFT:
  //code here
  break;
case RIGHT:
  //code here
  break;
cas...
default:
  break;
  }

Edit: Wow, [.code.] is now copy/paste friendly. (Also I made a small typo)
soinsg

Postby visorprismman on Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by palmdog</i>
<br />

here are two games i made using pocketc and ptoolboxlib (both are turn-based, that is, there is no "live action" going on):

http://www.palmgear.com/software/showso ... odID=44232
http://www.palmgear.com/software/showso ... odID=45409

hope that helps

Ryan Palmer
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks for the info...I was just wondering how much time was put into the lightout clone? Also how many memos did it take up?

Cheers
Cheers
visorprismman

Postby igsoft on Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:11 am

Just an advise...for each separate function(eg. Battle/Menu/Map for my RPG) i use a new memo with: "/$ menu.c" at the beginning and 'include "menu.c"' in the main file. It's really better to debug the program like that...and without limits ;)
igsoft

Postby palmdog on Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:18 pm

the lights out game I actually made using the windows pde so I don't know how many memos it would take, but according to pde, the code is 3851 bytes with the level data taking up another 3042 bytes. not counting the level creation time, it only took me a few hours to code it up.

best regards,
Ryan Palmer
palmdog

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB