Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - how to read from a file?

how to read from a file?

Discuss PocketC for CE (including Desktop Edition)

Postby Giancarlo Italy on Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:47 pm

Hello,
unfortunately I am not a good programmer. I have read the function library of pocketC and I tried to write strings in a file and it was quite easy to do it. The nightmare for me was to read information from the file created...[:p]

Do someone in this forum have small some examples of files creation, writing and reading?

Any help appreciated,

bye Giancarlo (Italy)

ciao
ciao
Giancarlo Italy

Postby wolfgang on Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:43 am

The following works with ASCII files (small changes required for Unicode if you need that). There is one or more other threads where Guy (Sprackland) has posted much more advanced code, the code below is very basic and thus not extremely fast.

Wolfgang

// opening a file for writing in ASCII mode
// then constant are declared in pcheader.h

#include "/PocketC/pcheader.h"
int i_fh;
i_fh = fileopen ("my_file.txt", 0, FILE_CREATE | FILE_WRITE);

// opening a file for reading in ASCII mode
int i_fh;
i_fh = fileopen ("my_file.txt", 0, FILE_READ);

// write a string to a file, terminate it with a newline
filewrite_nl (int i_fh, string s_string)
{
return (filewrite (i_fh, s_string + "\n", strlen (s_string) + 1));
}

// read an single line of text (terminated by a newline)
fileread_nl (int i_fh)
{
int i;
char c;
string s;

i = 0;

while (((c = readbyte (i_fh)) != '\n') && (i++ < 1000))
{
s = s + c;
}

return (s);
}

Composing music on the PocketPC! - http://www.pdamusician.com
wolfgang

Postby Giancarlo Italy on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:49 pm

Hello Wolfgang,
your example is very clear. Do you know where I can find more examples on using PocketC? I surfed in the ORbworks links but it seems that most of them do not exist any more...

Thank you very much for your help,

bye Giancarlo

ciao
ciao
Giancarlo Italy

Postby KOU on Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:09 pm

Unfortunatly, I dont know any other sites talking about PocketC.

Reading past posts in this and general boards helped for me.
(Knowledge base too.)
Many ANSI C examples work with little modification.

If you are going to use CEAPI made by guy, regular books about Windows API should help you.

KOU
KOU

Postby wolfgang on Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:46 am

Hi Giancarlo,

I have a beginner's tutorial on my website (http://www.pdamusician.com - go to the Programming section, it's the ABC = Absolute Beginner's Corner). It covers the basics; unfortunately I never found the time for planned "advanced stuff" like GUI, files, graphics, or databases.

On the bottom of the main page of my site you find links to the PocketC webring - have a look, some of the sites in the ring have (had?) very useful information.

Ciao

Wolfgang

wolfgang

Postby Giancarlo Italy on Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:34 am

Hello Wolfgang and Kou,
thank you for the information provided. I started from the docs in the pdamisucian site (without it I couldn't even start) and I found it very useful. I always carry it with my 720.

I also checked the old forum messages and I found previous questions and answers related to file read and write.

I'll 'study' these pieces of code next weekend,

bye Giancarlo

ciao
ciao
Giancarlo Italy

Postby Marty on Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:27 pm

Wolfgang:
Your suggestion on how to program as Giancarlo requested is appreciated by me as well.
I would appreciate any help also on how to get rid of quotation
marks as well.
Marty

Return to PocketC for CE