Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - 'too much string data' message

'too much string data' message

Postby Mikael on Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:56 pm

Is there a limit to the amount of string data that can be stored in one dimensional arrays when using Pocket C? I'm using them to store bitmaps and I have rather alot. I've recently added more and keep getting a message saying 'too much string data'(as opposed to 'string constant too long' which happens when I miss out a quotation mark etc.
If this is a PDE or a pocket C thing, is there a way around it? I've tried using 'include' and storing the arrays as a library; but to no avail. If there is no way around it, is there another platform which I could use which supports 2 bit bitmaps?

Thanks in advance,

Mikael
Mikael

Postby soinsg on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:58 pm

I think Joe said it was 8000 elements max for arrays, correct me if I'm wrong (although I can't believe you have that many bitmaps).

Recently PocketC Palm 6 (http://www.orbworks.com/pcpalm/download.html) was released which is supposed to support native bitmaps. Also PToolBox (http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm) supports native bitmaps. These bitmaps will have to be stored in a separate file if you are compiling onboard.
You can either use artBmp onboard or pilrc and par on the desktop to make/convert to this format.

Pre-Edit:<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Desktop Edition features:
<ul><li>Embedded bitmaps (for use with new bitmap features above)</li></ul><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
soinsg

Postby giwiganz on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:08 am

I'm having the same problem, but in my case I need to embed/inline a number of 1000+ element string arrays, each with 200+ chars.

Anyone know of a work-around?

Garen_EvansNOSPAM@hotmail.com

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mikael</i>
<br />Is there a limit to the amount of string data that can be stored in one dimensional arrays when using Pocket C? I'm using them to store bitmaps and I have rather alot. I've recently added more and keep getting a message saying 'too much string data'(as opposed to 'string constant too long' which happens when I miss out a quotation mark etc.
If this is a PDE or a pocket C thing, is there a way around it? I've tried using 'include' and storing the arrays as a library; but to no avail. If there is no way around it, is there another platform which I could use which supports 2 bit bitmaps?

Thanks in advance,

Mikael
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
giwiganz

Postby jstadolnik on Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:03 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I'm having the same problem, but in my case I need to embed/inline a number of 1000+ element string arrays, each with 200+ chars.

Anyone know of a work-around?

The easiest way to do this is to save all your strings to a database and to pull them out as needed. The drawback of this is that a seperate .pdb file is required.

Another way is to use PToolbox string resource and string table resource access features. See the following commands for the Fctl() function: GETTSTR (#119), STBLSIZE (#120), STBLPFX (#121), and STBLGET (#122). Note that string tables are limited to 384 strings, so you'd need a number of these. Use PilRC to convert the strings into resources and then use par to embbed them in your app's .prc if you go this route.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby andrewsbe on Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:13 pm

I don't mind getting errors on strings when compiling, but does your palm force you to RESET everytime as well?

I worry each time I have to hard bounce my Palm 3c and was wondering if someone had seen this issue as well when receiving an error during compile time.

Ben

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mikael</i>
<br />Is there a limit to the amount of string data that can be stored in one dimensional arrays when using Pocket C? I'm using them to store bitmaps and I have rather alot. I've recently added more and keep getting a message saying 'too much string data'(as opposed to 'string constant too long' which happens when I miss out a quotation mark etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mikael
andrewsbe

Postby andrewsbe on Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:14 pm

I don't mind getting errors on strings when compiling, but does your palm force you to RESET everytime as well?

I worry each time I have to hard bounce my Palm 3c and was wondering if someone had seen this issue as well when receiving an error during compile time.

Ben

Thanks in advance,

Mikael
andrewsbe

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB