Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Pocket C On Pocket PC 2003

Pocket C On Pocket PC 2003

Discuss PocketC for CE (including Desktop Edition)

Postby desolom on Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:06 am

I have installed Pocket C on an Toshiba e355 running Pocket PC 2003. I realize that it is not meant to run on this machine.

However, it does considerably better than any other inexpensive tools that I have tried.

The problem is that it doesn't free memory properly on this OS and also Microsoft moved a number of the API calls so it runs into functional difficulty there.

Does anyone know it there are any plans to port the tools to Pocket PC 2003 and if so when?

Regards,

David
desolom

Postby wolfgang on Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:13 am

If PocketC works for you the way it is right now, then fine - go ahead and use it! Otherwise, don't wait for PoccketPC 2003 updates - there won't be any. Kevin (the author of the WindowsCE/PocketPC version of PocketC) lost interest more than a year ago and is no longer supporting or developing this product :-(

By the way, the current version of PocketC (V3) is slow, unstable and has many, many bugs, so if I were you I'd look for some other development tool (preferably one that is still supported).

Wolfgang

Composing music on the PocketPC! - http://www.pdamusician.com
wolfgang

Postby desolom on Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:21 pm

Wolfgang:

Thanks for the information. It just barely works so I won't continue with it.

Do you know of any other good software development tools for the Pocket PC 2003 platform that aren't overly expensive and are quick development tools?

I have tried NS BAsic which is supposed to work on Pocket PC 2003 but it is clearly not doing the job.

I would appreciate any information.

Thank you.

David
desolom

Postby wolfgang on Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:53 pm

You could use Mirosofts Embedded Visual C++ (eVC). This is by far the most professional tool, and results in the fastest code. You can download it for free from the M$ webpage (but you better have a high speed connection), or order it as a CD-ROM fro about $20 (I think).

On the other hand, it also has a very steep learning curve, which kept me from jumping over (even though I know C/C++) - I am still stuck with PocketC :-) The beauty of PocketC is/was that it is so simple to use. Count on several months even if you know C or C++ before you are really productive with eVC.

Embedded Visual Basic (eVB) would be another option, also from M$. The code produced with it is about as fast (or better: slow) as PocketC, meaning much slower than from eVC, and it also needs a runtime module (interpreter), but it is way easier to learn as a language than eVC. I don't have practical experience with it, and from what I've heard it is much less powerful than Visual Basic (its PC based brother). Also I am not sure if you can get it for free or not (anybody have links?).

It really boils down to what type of application you want to build. For anything that does not need much speed (most user interfaces, databases etc.) and can live without full access to the hardware, I think eVB is your best bet.

Hope that helps

Wolfgang

wolfgang

Postby chrisleeuk on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:14 am

I tried Pocket C but its lack of support and no easy way to create menus have really put me off.

I have now switched to Forward Pass. http://www.forwardpass.com.

This is a really excellent development tool which is packed with features including complete tools to edit forms directly from the device.

Version 2 has just been released which will work on pocket pc, pocket pc 2002 and pocket pc 2003.

The only limitation with Pocket PC 2003 is that very small number of features are not yet working but they are working to fix these issues.

Support for this product is great. I asked for a development feature and it was implemented and on my device within 7 days!

Formulation, Visual Environment for Pocket C - http://Formulation.0catch.com (in development)
Formulation, Visual Environment for Pocket C - http://Formulation.0catch.com (in development)
chrisleeuk

Return to PocketC for CE