Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Difference between PocketC & Orbform Designer??

Difference between PocketC & Orbform Designer??

Postby sheik on Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:24 pm

:?:Hi,

I am newbie to the C platform development for Palm and wish to register either the PocketC or Orbform Designer.
What are the main differences between the two softwares.
Which one is best for a newbie on C language and development for Palm.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sheik
sheik
sheik

Postby Mikael on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:58 am

I can't speak for Orbforms Designer but I've found PocketC to be great.
I had tried on numerous occasions to learn programming:Visual Basic,C,C++ and QBasic and could never really get past "Hello World".
Pocket C is fairly easy to learn as far as languages go and I can now look at my beginners book on C and understand all of the concepts without too much difficulty.

If you want to learn PocketC, I can recommed Palm Programming for the Absolute Beginner-sorry, authors name slips my mind at the moment.
This was the book that did it for me. Also, if you are a total newbie to programming, it's worth remembering that you actually learn it faster when you have a clear goal or application idea to work towards.
regard,

Mikael
Mikael

Postby cable_guy_67 on Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:49 am

I will have to second the motion for PocketC. It is stripped down in such a way that it is easy to grasp the concepts you are looking for. Do yourself a favor and print out the docs (functions and language) for pocketC. I found that having them in front of me while coding helped a lot. Palm Programming for the absolute beginner is a great way to see many concepts in action. The author Andy Harris must have spent some time here bouncing ideas around while he was working on the book. You can find a link to it on the PocketC PalmOS page off of the orbworks home page.
cable_guy_67

Postby dcalp on Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:02 am

Hi Sheik:
Have in mind also where do you want to do programming: OrbForms is only desktop based, while with PocketC you can program on the device and desktop.

BUT, OrbForms is the way that major programming environments/languages work today: you visually design the screens and add programming to events (like a button push).

Good luck!

Diego

Pocket VisualForms
Visual design for PocketC
http://pocketvf.port5.com
http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/pocketvf
Diego

Pocket VisualForms
Visual design for PocketC
http://www.diegocalp.com.ar
dcalp

Postby sheik on Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:36 pm

:):)
Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot for your advice and comments above,I shall take a look into it.
Special thanks for the rapid reply.

sheik
sheik
sheik

Postby mas727 on Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:43 pm

Hi,

Does OrbForms Designer and PocketC produce (output) the same type of bytecode in the form of an runable application?

mas727
mas727

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB