Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - BMP to Palm and back again

BMP to Palm and back again

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby cable_guy_67 on Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:31 pm

Hello All,
I have done the searching but can't seem to find an answer/tool to do what I am looking for. I use artBMP to create a bmp db to be called by PocketToolbox in my application. Since artBMP can be lacking in the actual editing of bmp's I have found that doing rough-in's of the graphic works well for placeholding while programming but not so well when you want to copy portions of a graphic to another (say for a common type of graphic or a group for animations). To get around this I usually do some work on the graphic on the desktop.

Here is where I am running into a wall. I can't seem to find the answers in the docs so I ask it here (let the skewering begin). I want to seperate the .prc that is generated (par -x) and edit the individual bmp's on my desktop. How do I go from the generated .bin file to an actual .bmp I can edit? I am sure it is simple but for the life of me I can't see the tree for the forest. Returning to a full .prc when I am done is easy enough so I don't need that explanation. I am using the prc-tools-2.3, pilrc 2.9build2 under Cygwin. Thanks for the time of your response.

Mark
cable_guy_67

Postby cable_guy_67 on Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Well, I guess the answer is so ridiculously simple I should have found it myself or there is not a good way to do this. I guess I will continue to save the screen shot of Thumbnails to go in artBMP and cut & paste to my paint program.

I hate the Kludge soulutions.

:(
cable_guy_67

Postby jstadolnik on Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:57 pm

There used to be program to do this, but I haven't seen it in a while. The new high resolution bitmaps and compression modes likely compilicate such a tool greatly.

You may have re-invent the wheel. The palm bitmap format is fully published in the PalmOS Developer's Reference Manual (exception for the compression algs). It should then be a matter of writing a program to reverse this format back into a windows .bmp file. If your bitmaps are not compressed, this may not be that bad because the raw bitmap image, should be the same for both palmOS and windows. It may just be a matter of changing the headers (this is also assuming that you're not using bitmap families too - e.g. only one image per bitmap resource).

Use "par x" mode to get all your bitmaps from a .prc file. Each one will get converted into a separate .bin file which can then be operated on with a conversion tool.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby jstadolnik on Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:07 pm

Also, take a look at the PilRC source code for converting bitmaps. Once you find it, reversing that process may not be that bad (ignoring compression and bitmap families).

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby cable_guy_67 on Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info Joe. As it stands I make it as far as having a directory of Tbmp####.bin files after "par x" from bash. The sorry part of it is that I have all the origonal .bmp's in another directory (minus the ones I created with artBMP) right alongside it. If there was not 280 of the damn things I would just keep swinging them over by saving the screenshot from POSE and creating the new ones. I am using a seperate .prc for the color and greyscale so there is no family problem.

Bahhhh Humbug [:(!]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You may have re-invent the wheel. The palm bitmap format is fully published in the PalmOS Developer's Reference Manual (exception for the compression algs). It should then be a matter of writing a program to reverse this format back into a windows .bmp file. If your bitmaps are not compressed, this may not be that bad because the raw bitmap image, should be the same for both palmOS and windows.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is the direction I will take. More digging and learning but at least the info I am after is published. Thank you GNU GPL. Not being able to find the utility to do what I was looking to do had me believing this was going to become more difficult.

Q: How do you eat a bear?
A: One bite at a time.

Mark

Well, it looks like I have a new years resolution (resolvesion). Wish me luck. When I succeed I guess I will have a nice notch in the belt and a helpful bit of info for anyone else who could benefit from the tool.
cable_guy_67

Postby cable_guy_67 on Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:27 pm

Well, I found a program that seems to handle this. It is called PalmBMX (Palm BitMap eXtractor) and can be found at http://www.festus440.happypalm.com/. I did manage to find some code that does it from the command line but in the wrong direction (bmp2tbmp) and other similar samples along with all the the specs for each type of image file. Unfortunately there is another project I am working on that has a higher priority but I will get back to it. I really would like a command line prog that will do this and run under cygwin.

Mark
cable_guy_67

Return to General Discussion