Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Dynamic Graphics

Dynamic Graphics

Postby IkilledKenny on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:57 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to make dynamic graphics in PocketC. I know that one can use the PToolBoxLb to do so, but it has a big footprint even if you merge it into the application. I was wondering if there could be a way to create them in the code. Does PToolBoxLb call the Palm API's? Couldn't a program just call the API's itself without the need for the external lib? If it can be done so beautifully with PToolBoxLb couldn't it, with some work, be done just as good without the lib? The PToolBoxLib dude doesn't want anyone to use the lib (merged into the application) without paying for it, nor does he share his secrets of how he got it to work! I don't really like this... it's like I have to pay for every program I create useing it. (I've heard his spill about why he does this... I get his point, but it still don't mean I gotta like it!) There has to be away, cause I've seen it done with the lib. Ccontrols have ugly pseudo-fields and prettied up pseudo-buttons, but just cause they are prettied up doesn't mean that they are the real McCoy. PocketGui has a little bit less then pretty pseudo-buttons and the same ugly fields as Ccontrols. I've tried picking apart Ccontrols for the buttons, but all the code is merged into one making it REALLY hard! Is there anyone who could create code that could be inserted into an app that would allow for the creation of buttons and fields? Like real code not in the lib format (kinda like what people do for HTML). Also, maybe I think it is time that OrbWorks starts to add dynamic support to PocketC itself! Oh well, that maybe a dream that'll never happen. I know they have it for OrbForms, but I use PocketC and the two are completely different!

Don't get me wrong... PToolBoxLib, Ccontrols, PocketGui, and OrbForms are all great applications, but I just would like to be able to do the things they do inside PocketC itself without the need for external libs!

"If you see kenny today, tell him I'm sorry for killin him yesterday."
--Cartman
Visit my site for Palm OS game cheats at:
http://www.palmcheaterguy.4t.com: A place for all your Palm OS Games Cheat Codes... And if you don't find the game you want to cheat on... simply send in the request from the form right on the site!!

--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Does PToolBoxLb call the Palm API's?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Couldn't a program just call the API's itself without the need for the external lib?

PocketC has no provision for calling the PalmOS API directly (only indirectly through native libraries).

If it can be done so beautifully with PToolBoxLb couldn't it, with some work, be done just as good without the lib?

The core problem here is that PocketC is way too slow to handle complex GUI interaces itself. You can produce fake buttons with Ccontrols or PocketGui, but if you have too many of them (say >12, at least on the older devices), you'll see a definite lag. Multi-line text fields require large amounts of computations to manage... making them next to impossible to implement efficiently in the PocketC language itself.

Since the PToolboxLib uses the PalmOS API to create and manage GUI objects, it's very fast and can handle a larger number of objects at once.

An embedded PToolboxLib does have a memory footprint cost to it (say 22k when embedded with only the GUI plug-in, and up to 97k with all the plug-ins), but that's rather small in the scheme of things. The library took a lot of hard work to create. That's why I charge for embedding it. Usage of the library in an external (seperate .prc) fashion is free and always will be.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby IkilledKenny on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:34 pm

So it is THAT hard to call the API with PocketC. Okay so then there goes that lol. Have you heard of OnBoardC a freeware (REAL)C\C++ compiler for the Palm OS have you done anything with this? I use it and think it's cool, but I still love PocketC!!

Also, Could you make a lib that deals only with GUI? I mean, if one isn't going to use the other stuff that comes with PToolBoxLib it just becomes junk in the way.

--Cartman
Visit my site for Palm OS game cheats at:
http://www.palmcheaterguy.4t.com: A place for all your Palm OS Games Cheat Codes... And if you don't find the game you want to cheat on... simply send in the request from the form right on the site!!

--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:08 pm

So it is THAT hard to call the API with PocketC. Okay so then there goes that lol. Have you heard of OnBoardC a freeware (REAL)C\C++ compiler for the Palm OS have you done anything with this? I use it and think it's cool, but I still love PocketC!!

I've been using the gcc/PRC-Tools tool chain for years... though...

The best free development platform right now is the official PalmOS Developer Suite produced by PalmSource. Think Codewarrior, but free. It gives you the full power of all the PalmOS API and generates natively compiled code (no run-times) which run at native speeds... however, it's not as easy to use as RAD tools like OrbForms, but if you want the power, it's there.

My time is limited these days. I don't have plans for cutting a special GUI only library.

I mean, if one isn't going to use the other stuff that comes with PToolBoxLib it just becomes junk in the way.

If you use the embedded form the library, you just leave out the plug-ins you don't want and the size drops pretty fast.

The PToolboxLib with the embedded GUI plugin is pretty small (~17k for the lite version, and around ~22k for the full GUI). A seperate GUI library would likely be around 20k anyhow (since it would use the PToolbox GUI plugins).

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB