Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - THE problem with PToolboxLib

THE problem with PToolboxLib

A PocketC native palm library offering native forms and assorted utilities

Postby gmigueis on Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:09 pm

Why I don't use PToolbox Lib? I think it's a great product, but:
1) Iconized version is good for testing, but not ellegant for distribution;
2) I don't like the idea of paying for every program I write;
3) I feel that 2) is the general idea among PocketC users;

Could you make a non-iconized buy-once product? You could sell the embedded version as it is! I would pay $30 - $50 for it.

Thanks.
gmigueis

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:46 pm

A buy-once-use-many distribution would allow for easy pirating. Once a generic unlock code hits the street, the library would essentially become freeware. The current scheme prevents that.

If you make $500 on a $30 investment... well, that's pretty good if you ask me. I also offer bulk discounts (5 for $100, and 10 for $150).

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby gmigueis on Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:27 pm

Thanks for replying! I wasn't really concerned with piracy. Anyway, you're probably right. Humm... Programmers tend to be picky! What I was saying is that the pay for program policy sounds too much like a cellphone - a device atached to a monthly bill - and this is why many of us, PDA users, do not go the PDA-Phone way - it's simply not ellegant, but perhaps it has to be this way!

Thanks again.
gmigueis

Postby bruno.71c on Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:52 pm

Joseph,

:)I'm agree with you for the investment facts, but 'your*' users are PROGRAM AUTHOR who may want to be rewarded for their work or just supply an ellegant distribution for a freeware. I really not sure the PToolbox Lib registerd will be easilly available on the the internet.

:twisted:Have you tried to find any cheating system for PocketC OrbForm Designer? I tried to do for trial because I'm not happy with the demo version (I'm registerd for PocketC and PDE) and what I found was either demo versions or fakes.

:|We are in an honest an "closed" group of user the most part of us want to be rewarded for their time, so we understand the cost for personnal works.

I'm making a small application wich will use PToolbox Lib for its form functions, I'm yet not sure I will register PToolbox Lib for this one, because the software will be a small cost around 6 Us$.
But for sure I will register a free to embed as mutch as you want PToolbox Lib version even with a moral obligation to give you one copy of each application and the requirment of a quote in a credits box.

*'your' user who may register to embed what you offer for free as a separate resource.;)

Best regards
Bruno.
Best regards
Bruno.
bruno.71c

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I'm agree with you for the investment facts, but 'your*' users are PROGRAM AUTHOR who may want to be rewarded for their work or just supply an ellegant distribution for a freeware. I really not sure the PToolbox Lib registerd will be easilly available on the the internet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The library .prc can be freely distributed along with your library at no cost. Just include it in your app's .zip file.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Have you tried to find any cheating system for PocketC OrbForm Designer? I tried to do for trial because I'm not happy with the demo version (I'm registerd for PocketC and PDE) and what I found was either demo versions or fakes.

There are cheats to both PocketC PDA and desktop compilers... I know them, but I'm not telling. Orbforms is more difficult to crack.

We are in an honest an "closed" group of user the most part of us want to be rewarded for their time, so we understand the cost for personnal works.

I'm making a small application wich will use PToolbox Lib for its form functions, I'm yet not sure I will register PToolbox Lib for this one, because the software will be a small cost around 6 Us$.
But for sure I will register a free to embed as mutch as you want PToolbox Lib version even with a moral obligation to give you one copy of each application and the requirment of a quote in a credits box.

One solution is to release your app with the external library .prc, and after you accumulate enough funds with your app, then pay for the embedded version. This way you have little risk burden.

*'your' user who may register to embed what you offer for free as a separate resource.

Users can't do that... you have to embed the app in your .prc and specify the proper unlock key in your code. Otherwise it won't work.

Joe

Best regards
Bruno.

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Postby IkilledKenny on Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jstadolnik</i>
Users can't do that... you have to embed the app in your .prc and specify the proper unlock key in your code. Otherwise it won't work.

First of all let me just say that I think that bruno.71c is a troll, so repling may have been a bad thing... Okay, Joe, you say that one must specify the unlock code in the source of the application... I was wondering just what exactly prevents PToolBoxLib from excepting the same unlock code over and over again? (I do not ask for piracy reasons, but for security ones, I'd love to know how to lock my own applications so as to cut down on piracy! [Groups like Palmwarez should be illegal, but they are, unfortunately, not at this point]) By the way, I understand why you are doing PToolBoxLib this way and agree with you on the piracy concerns, but that still don't mean I gotta like it lol.

PS-PToolBoxLib is a great tool, but for now, since I'm broke, I'll stick to the freeware distribution.

Oh and one other thing: It would be nice if you had the iconized version of PToolBoxLib show, instead of the about alert message, the documentation for PToolBoxLib, because it is hard to remember how to use some of the things included with PToolBoxLib when one is away from the computer... This is just a thought though.

"If you see kenny today, tell him I'm sorry for killin him yesterday."
--Cartman
Visit my site for Palm OS game cheats at:
http://www.palmcheaterguy.4t.com: A place for all your Palm OS Games Cheat Codes... And if you don't find the game you want to cheat on... simply send in the request from the form right on the site!!

"If you see kenny today, tell him I'm sorry for killin him yesterday."
--Cartman
IkilledKenny

Postby jstadolnik on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:08 pm

First of all let me just say that I think that bruno.71c is a troll

I don't think so.

, so repling may have been a bad thing... Okay, Joe, you say that one must specify the unlock code in the source of the application... I was wondering just what exactly prevents PToolBoxLib from excepting the same unlock code over and over again?

(I do not ask for piracy reasons, but for security ones, I'd love to know how to lock my own applications so as to cut down on piracy! [Groups like Palmwarez should be illegal, but they are, unfortunately, not at this point])

The unlock key is generated mathematically from both the app's CreaterID and database (.prc) name. Basically each of the characters in these names is treated as an integer. Try doing a search on this forum for "registration". You'll turn up some post about generated registration keys.

Oh and one other thing: It would be nice if you had the iconized version of PToolBoxLib show, instead of the about alert message, the documentation for PToolBoxLib, because it is hard to remember how to use some of the things included with PToolBoxLib when one is away from the computer... This is just a thought though.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That could easily double to triple the size the library!!!

Various individuals have already generated PDA based documentation for the library. See the documentation section of the PocketC resource page: http://www.orbworks.com/pcpalm/resources.html

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Return to Pocket Toolbox