Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - .prc

.prc

Discuss PocketC for Palm OS (including Desktop Edition)

Postby pktcperlcppcjava on Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:52 pm

I'm relatively new to pocketC, so up to now I've been designing appletts, ie: .pdb files, with pocketC. Could someone explain to me how to create a .prc file using pocketC?

thanx

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
pktcperlcppcjava

Postby Mikael on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:20 am

The following is taken frrom the description of the Pocket C language, found under 'help', 'PocketC Desktop Edition' in PDE:
.prc Properties
In order to generate a .prc file, you must specify the properties of the app in your source. Each property is an '@' followed by the property name, then the value (always a string), terminated with a semicolon. See the "triangle.pc" sample for an example.

<b>@cid "MyAp"; </b>The creator ID for the app. This ID must be unique for each application created. If you plan to distribute it, the ID MUST be registered with Palm. Register at the PalmOS developer site. The ID must be 4 characters, at least one of which must not be lowercase.
<b>@name "My App"; </b>The name of the application as it appears in the application launcher.
<b>@dbname "MyApp"; </b>The name of the database (file). Must be less than 32 characters.
<b>@category "Games"; </b>The name of the default launcher category this app should be installed into. In order to honor multiple languages, you should specify one of the predefined English categories (the OS will translate it appropriately): Games, Main, System, Utilities
<b>@ver "1.0"; </b>A short string describing the version number, usually in the format MAJOR.MINOR.
<b>@licon1 "icons/large1.bmp"; </b>1-bit/pixel large icon. This icon must be specified. You may optionally also specify a 2-, 4-, 8-, and 16-bit/pixel icon using licon2, licon4, licon8, and licon16. You may also specify a double-density icon by appending 'h' to the property (e.g. licon8h). If you use a '\' in the path, you must escape it, i.e. '\\'. Instead use '/'.
<b>@sicon1 "icons/small1.bmp"; </b>1-bit/pixel small icon. This icon must be specified. You may optionally also specify a 2-, 4-, 8-, and 16-bit/pixel icon using sicon2, sicon4, sicon8, and sicon16. Double-density icons are specified with 'h' properties (e.g. sicon8h).

Or, to cut to the chase:

//MyFirstPrc
@cid "PRC1";
@ver "1.0";
@dbname "MyFirstPrc";
@name "MyFirstPrc";

main(){
rest goes here...
}

or something similar is fine for most purposes.

Mikael
Mikael

Postby pktcperlcppcjava on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:01 pm

so, by typing that into a memo and compiling, I can create a .prc file directly on the handheld?

pktcperlcppcjava

Postby Mikael on Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:34 pm

As far as I know, you can only produce stand-alone apps using PocketC Desktop Edition. I've tried compiling such memos on the handheld and they run, though not as stand-alone apps.

Mikael
Mikael

Postby pktcperlcppcjava on Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:47 pm

Just my luck that they don't have PDE for macs

pktcperlcppcjava

Postby Mikael on Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:59 am

Perhaps a Windows emulator for the Mac is a solution. If you could get it to work, at least you wouldn't have the same problem with the Palm OS emulator which, according to its description at palmos.com, also runs on the Mac.

Mikael
Mikael

Postby pktcperlcppcjava on Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:57 pm

I tried to make a prc, I put all of the @ thingies in, specified bitmaps and everything. I compiled it from memo pad ON THE PDA and it compiled perfectly, however, no icon appeared. All I had created was some applet. IT basically jsut compiled a .pdb

How do i use the @ things to make a .prc?

pktcperlcppcjava

Postby Mikael on Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:11 pm

As far as I know you can only create .prcs using PDE - or PocketC Desktop Edition. The following is from a description of PocketC for the handheld from Palmgear.com:

PocketC is a Palm-based C compiler that compiles MemoPad records into an efficient and quick bytecode that can be sent to your computer and shared. PocketC has a rich function library including graphics, sound, database I/O, serial I/O, networking, VFS, and native libraries. <b>Build standalone apps using PocketC Desktop Edition. </b>

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I too have tried to create them on the handheld, without success - it simply creates a .pdb.

Mikael
Mikael

Postby cable_guy_67 on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:28 pm

Check the downloads page at the main site for the prc builder available to registered users. It is a win app but you should be able to find some sort of emulation for the mac to run it.
http://www.orbworks.com/pcpalm/download.html Perhaps this will help?

I use PDE and don't think I have ever used BuildPRC so I cannot attest to it's use. I don't know if it has kept pace with the advances PocketC has made either.
cable_guy_67

Postby pktcperlcppcjava on Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:23 pm

I've looked at it already

I've checked around for windows emulators

They all seem to cost quite a bit though

I'm a student, and the pay checks I get all go to tuition, so I can't really afford a $179 dollar windows emulator (virtual PC)

If anyoen can come up w/ a much cheaper, or better yet, a free, windows emulator for macs, I would be extremely greatful

pktcperlcppcjava

Postby Mikael on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:14 pm

I don't know if the following is any help to you. An open-source X86 emulator, which apparently runs on the Mac. Part of its despcription follows:

What is Bochs?
Bochs is a program that simulates a complete Intel x86 computer. It can be configured to act like a 386, 486, Pentium, or Pentium Pro. Bochs interprets every instruction from power-up to reboot, and has device models for all of the standard PC peripherals: keyboard, mouse, VGA card/monitor, disks, timer chips, network card, etc. Because Bochs simulates the whole PC environment, the software running in the simulation "believes" it is running on a real machine. This approach allows Bochs to run a wide variety of software with no modification, include most popular x86 operating systems: Windows 95/98/NT, all Linux flavors, all BSD flavors, and more.

Or, read more about it at:
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/doc/docboo ... book1.html

Mikael
Mikael

Return to PocketC for Palm OS