Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Bug in Pocket C with new Memos database

Bug in Pocket C with new Memos database

Postby mgreen on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:22 am

I have a T3 and have been using Pocket C for a long time. I have a large MemoDB database (about 256K) with a few memos greater than 4K (which the T3 supports). At some point, the new Memos application converts the MemoDB to another format called MemosDB-PMem, but it's supposed to somehow fake a MemoDB for older programs to use. Something has gone wrong with that. A few programs that have been modified to look in MemosDB-PMem work, but older programs including Pocket C get a fatal exception trying to access MemoDB. In particular, when I click on (Compile..), Pocket C gets a fatal exception. If I delete MemoDB-PMem and run Memos to create a new (empty) one, Pocket C starts to work again. Have you heard of this? Is there something I can do? (like delete some memos or avoid >4K memos). The Memos application still works, Memo_Plus works. SongBook works after the author modified it to read from MemoDB-PMem rather than from the 'faked' MemoDB.

-----
Michael Green
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Postby dewey on Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:10 am

Sounds like it is definitely a bug in the PalmOS database mapping hack. I'll look into adding support for the new applications.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby mgreen on Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:23 pm

I use Mark/Space Missing Sync for Palm OS for synchronization and I've been corresponding with them. There seems to be something going on with their MemoPad conduit. I've since rebuilt my memos database using StickyBrain and their Mac conduit and things seem to work again. I've told Mark/Space that I think it's some interaction between their conduit and the PalmOS's mapping hack and they're looking into it. Applications that don't use the hack by looking for MemoDB-PMem, reading from that if it's present, then falling back to MemoDB all seem to work just fine.

-----
Michael Green
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Postby Judy on Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:30 pm

I am new to Palm and PocketC, and do not understand much of what was said, except that it sounds like my problem. I have a T3. PocketC works fine for memos up to 4K. Larger memos are compiled OK in PocketC Desktop edition, but for the same memos, PocketC on the T3 fails at about 4K with the message 'Confused in expression'. I do not know whether the problem is PocketC or PalmOS, but is there a fix or a workround?
Judy

Postby mgreen on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:46 pm

Basically, the PalmOS has previously limited memos to 4K. In order to allow larger memos on the newer PalmOS releases, they cheat (for compatibility with older programs like PocketC). The memos are actually stored in a new database, but the PalmOS catches attempts to manipulate the old database and substitutes references to the newer database. There seems to be a bug in this mechanism. PocketC could be fixed to look first for the new database, then use the old database only if the new one is absent. In the meantime, you'll have to limit your programs to pieces less than 4K and use includes to pull them together for compilation. An alternative would be to convert your desktop source to a "doc" (not Microsoft Word "doc") file/database which can be nearly any size. PocketC can read those and there are editors (including some free ones) that run under PalmOS. There are a variety of desktop programs (some free) that will do the conversion for you under Windows, Mac OS, or Linux. Do a web search for "palm" and "doc".

-----
Michael Green
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Return to PocketC for Palm OS Suggestions