Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - DBinfo() question

DBinfo() question

A PocketC native palm library offering native forms and assorted utilities

Postby Mikael on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:30 pm

I'm trying to get the DBinfo function to return the number of fields in a particular record. The problem is that it returns the number of fields in the longest record instead. I'm using the first record in the db for testing with:

DBopen("TestDb");
DBgetfield(recNum,0);//record # zero in this case
numFields=DBinfo(1,0);//numFields should equal 25
alert(numFields);//alerts 265 fields instead

Where am I going wrong with this? I can't see it for the life of me.
I've checked the db's properties and configuration and they seem fine-it being a string db with 214 records, the longest record containing 265 fields.

Thanks in advance,

Mikael
Mikael

Postby Mikael on Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:38 pm

I'm starting to get the idea that this function is supposed to return the largest number of fields in the db after all. What got me thinking it wasn't is a old test app I found with a test db containing only one record and three fields, which always returned the correct number of fields. Also this info in the docs made me think this function is record specific:

Field Count. <b>Returns the number of fields per record</b>. Field parameter unused. For HanDBase databases returns a count based on the last non-none field position.

Mikael
Mikael

Postby jstadolnik on Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:07 pm

All records for a given pilot-DB and HandBase have the same number of fields. So in your case each record does have 265 fields, even if they are null strings.

The reason why DBinfo(1,0) returns the the total number of fields (whether they be null strings or not), is so that you know how much memory to malloc. Should you happen to provide DBgetrec with an array that's too short, you'll likely get a crash.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby Mikael on Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:57 pm

Thanks Joe, for clearing that up.

Mikael
Mikael

Return to Pocket Toolbox