Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - adding records to the DatebookDB

adding records to the DatebookDB

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby izzy on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:33 am

Is there any way I can add records to the DatebookDB. This used to
work fine in pre OS5 versions with the standard db functions. In OS5, the program always crashes. I found this to be tue in other apps as well, such as RsrcEdit. If you try to add or resize a record belonging to any of the built in apps it will crash with the message 'DmWriteCheck failed'.

Thanks
izzy

Postby mgreen on Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:46 pm

I have had similar problems with the Memo database. In order to add additional functionality in OS5, Palm set up a "shadow" database system where the actual data is kept in a new database and the system APIs convert back and forth between the new database format and the old (Pre-OS5) one. Sometimes this system gets corrupted. I've had problems syncing the Memo database where MissingSync (or Palm's HotSync) seems to work correctly, the built-in apps work correctly, but any software that uses the "old" databases gets fatal exceptions. I happen to have a Handspring Visor and I can use HotSync to restore my Memo database (about 200+ entries) in the "old" format, then beam each of several categories over to my T5. Once restored, the "old" apps seem to work until the next time things get corrupted again (rare!). I did talk to one vendor who seemed to fix the problem by looking first for the new database and reading that if present. If not present, the app reads the "old" database. I'm not sure what applies to the other standard db functions.

-----
Michael Green
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Postby izzy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:45 pm

Are you you saying that in OS 5 the records are actualy kept in different database, and if I write directly to that database I shouldn't have any problems?
izzy

Postby mgreen on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:33 pm

In OS5, the DatebookDB is called CalendarDB-PDat, the AddressDB is called ContactsDB-PAdd, the MemoDB is called MemosDB-PMem, and the TodoDB is called TasksDB-PTod. I've been told that MemosDB-PMem is the same format as MemoDB, but I don't think the others are necessarily the same structure as their pre-OS5 equivalents since the applications have new features. I believe there's a comment about this in the Palm OS Reference Manual, but I don't remember where.
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Postby izzy on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:07 pm

Thank you very much. I will try to find it.
izzy

Return to General Discussion