Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Access to Native Code

Access to Native Code

Discuss topics that apply across the products, such as the PocketC language, or development in general

Postby jeffhoward001 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 am

Hello,

I'm developing a new application for the Palm OS, and I'm considering using OrbForms and PocketC for the bulk of the application development. My question is, if my application requires me to use more advanced functions in the Palm libraries (beyond those supposed by PocketC), is it possible to generate native C code from the code created in PocketC? For example, once I've created my GUI and corresponding functions, I may need to do some low-level coding to send files back and forth to a PC via a bluetooth.

Hopefully I worded my question right. If you need more information or a better explanation, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff
jeffhoward001

Postby dewey on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:19 am

What you are trying to do can be done by creating native add-ins. A native add-in is a function/object exposed to OrbC that is implemented in native code.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby jeffhoward001 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. So far I love the PocketC product. It's allowed me to make some progress on a project that's been handicapped by my stale C skills, and lack of time to muck with all the events and states in the Palm OS.

One question on performance: Most of my app will not be resource intensive, but just as a point of comparison, once I have the final product compiled into a .prc file, assuming this is a mostly form-driven application, what performance difference should I expect when compared to a native Palm C app?
jeffhoward001

Postby mgreen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:33 pm

Performance is not a simple measure. If your application really is mostly form-driven, you will not see any significant difference between an interpreted program (Pocket C, OrbForms, PocketC Architect) and a purely native program. Most of the time is spent in the Palm OS waiting for user interaction. If you're doing database access the rest of the time, you also will not see any significant difference since most of the time is spent in the Palm OS's database routines copying stuff around or looking for stuff. The main place where you'll see a difference is in numeric calculations or numeric searches. Most of the character by character string manipulation or searching is speeded up by the run-time doing the character by character work on strings internally. If you're doing something like pattern matching, you'll need a native add-in to do that efficiently, but most other string stuff is relatively fast.
-----
Michael Green
mgreen

Return to General Discussion