Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - schedule an alarm

schedule an alarm

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby Canz on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:36 am

Dear fellow Orbworkers,

I have (again) looked throught the forum to see whether alarms can be handled. There is a discussion which states that OrbForms cannot gain control of an alarm event, however, it is mentionned that OrbForm applications can "can be used to schedule an alarm".
Currently, this would be sufficient for my projects. Does anyone know of how to "schedule an alarm".

Thanks and best regards

Canz
Canz

Postby nmc on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:30 am

With OrbForms, you will have to implement a native add-in for this.

In one of my own projects, I use crony (freeware app) to launch my own app at the desired times by writing my "alarm times" directly into its database.
But:
1. I am not sure if all things needed (to let crony call your app) can be done using the public version of OrbForms (jeremy?)
2. This is only a workaround, but not a good way because:
a) after installing crony, your customers have to enable it, so you might test that in yout app and launch crony if not enabled
b) this fails with the original crony because its thype is "panl" and launch() only works with "appl"
c) so you have to modify crony.prc to be an app and install this modified version along with your app
d) the crony database format is undocumented (I can post what I've found out here, if anyone is interested)
e) there werent any crony updates for years, so i m not sure if it meets all the os5 criterias
nmc

Postby dewey on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:24 am

That's a pretty extensive list of of "but"s.

I don't think the public version supports what you are doing with crony, but I don't remember exactly what was required. I will release 4.1 soon, which fixes many bugs and adds support for launching OrbC apps with a string argument (e.g. command line).
dewey
Site Admin

Postby nmc on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:04 am

>That's a pretty extensive list of of "but"s.
:-)
I wrote down the list because someone (you, for example ;-) might think about writing a replacement for the crony solution w/o the but's

>but I don't remember exactly what was required
I think it was the numeric app-id (card-number or something)
nmc

Postby Canz on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:21 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

For what I gather, apps created with the upcoming version 4.1 of OrbForms will be able to handle startup strings. If another application (which handles alarms) can launch the orb apps with predetermined startup string (depending on the alarm to be handled) then the problem will be solved.
Have I understood correctly?
Next question, who shall we pick to create this alarm handling program, for the greater good :D

Thanks a lot, can't wait for Version 4.1

Canz
Canz

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect