Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Beaming Database Records

Beaming Database Records

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby kda406 on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:03 pm

I need to beam database records (or databases) from my OrbForms application to my same application on two palms. In other words, two palm devices, each running my application, need to exchange data.

It seems like this is a regular palm operation. Yet, I have not been able to find any information on this in the help or the forum. Can anyone provide me with a code example or the URL of a site where I can learn how to do this with OrbForms Designer?

MANY Thanks!

-Kyle
kda406

Postby Gazza on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:41 pm

You can use IR to send the data to the other device. Look up serial in the user manual. Also look at the Hardware part of the Forum, there is lots of guidence there.
Gazza

Postby kda406 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, Gazza, but I'm the one who got Jeremy to add the hardware forum and am already a frequent poster there.

Yes, I can create a protocol to exchange data myself. However, exchanging database records is something nearly all palm applications do regularly. Is there not an inherent function we can use in OrbForms Designer to do this without re-inventing the wheel?

One would think this is a common requirement for Palm applications.

-Kyle
kda406

Postby kda406 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:10 pm

Surely <i>somebody</i> on this forum has used OrbForms Designer to exchange database.

Exchanging data records is one of the most basic concepts of the Palm OS!

This thread does <b><font color="red">NOT</font id="red"></b> belong in the Hardware forum. We are talking <b>Palm to Palm</b> communications here; no microcontrollers, EnDecs, or discrete transcievers.

IMO, a database record exchange should be built into OFD since it is supposed to be RAD. We do not need new wizbang gadgets, wav files, or the other "neat-o" things when basic, low-level Palm PDA functionality is missing.

But since it is not available (as of 4.1.1), can someone <i>please</i> post how they have done this in the past?

For example, I am desperate to know how OFD programmers have made the PDA scan for records being beamed into them like Address Book or Memo Pad do it. The sender human initiates the transfer, but the receiving apps are always "listening" to the IrDA port. This is important. Users will expect my programs to operate the same as all the other programs on their PDA. I need to know how to do this in OFD.

Please...PLEASE...<b>PLEASE!</b>

-Kyle
kda406

Postby kda406 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:06 pm

Has anyone figured out how to add this basic PDA functionality yet?

Since it was not available back in August, I shifted bandaiding this missing functionality in my Palm programs until I was closer to the end of the design cycle. I had hoped that there would be a release of OrbForms that would patch the missing requirement, or that at least someone would post how they had worked around the problem.

Can <i>anyone</i> offer any advice on doing this fundamental PDA procedure (preferably without having to hand code protocols)?

-Kyle
kda406

Re: Beaming Database Records

Postby kda406 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm

I made my own attempt at doing this and emulating what Palm does naturally, but OrbForms does not provide a mechanism for.

I could probably write a 20 page document about all the things that do not work when trying emulate this yourself, but will not bore you with those problems.

It worked so badly, and frequently locked up the receiving PDAs so often, that I was forced to re-release my software without this basic function. My customers are furious that I cannot provide what Palm does naturally.

I will now grovel and BEG the experienced programmers to provide some code on this forum so that we lesser programmers can exchange database records between PDAs using OrbForms.

I also beseech the great maker: PLEASE, we lowly programmers desperately need to be able to exchange database records. With even a glimmer of hope that this will be addressed, we shower you with praise.

Thanks and accolades to anyone who can make this work, from we, the desperate programmers.
kda406

Re: Beaming Database Records

Postby sangahm on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 am

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering if this is something that can be done with Native add-ins, like what was done for OrbSerial. That seems like it could get you access to the functionality of the palm libs for beaming.
sangahm

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect