Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Select buttons and fields using 5-way?

Select buttons and fields using 5-way?

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

Postby sgibson on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:46 am

Is it possible to navigate through buttons and fields in an app using the 5-way key and have the selected items appear highlighted (like you see in many Palm OS apps)?

I'd like to be able to navigate/highlight the UI elements of my app using he directional keys and then use the select button to either fire the onselect event of highlighted buttons or set focus to the highlighted field.

-Steve

--
perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
-Steve
sgibson

Postby FrankG on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:25 pm

Well, I

and saw that the focus related methods only worked with UIField objects so they won't be much help.

I wonder if it would be feasible to implement a set of methods to
- select an object
- deselect an object
- jump to the next or prior object
- execute the object onselect handler.

Select would draw a rectangle around an particular object (obj.x,obj.y,objw,obj,h)

Deselect would draw a clear rectangle around the object and then repaint the the object with the visible property.

Jump would mean each form would need a table of objects so that at the nth object you'd know what the n+1 and n-1 one would be.

Execute would probably need the same object table and then call the same routine that handles the onselect processing. I've found that in order to support an object selection and a menu item that does the same thing (like a "Save" button and a File / Save menu item, both event handlers call SaveRtn or something like that; you'd need to do that too.)

The tricky part would be whether you could pass in generic object pointers to these methods or whether only specific object pointers can be used, e.g. Select(obj * thisone); as opposed to Select(UIButton *thisone);

I think only the latter can be done so that means you'd need global pointers like
UIButton *CurrentButton;
UIField *CurrentFirld;
UIScroll *CurrentScroll; etc.

Select(int objid)
and switch statement processing to process the type of object objid is and what select handlers it uses, etc.

Just some random thoughts. I'm sure other people have better ideas.
Frank
FrankG

Postby sgibson on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Frank, thanks for the input. That seems an awful lot of work and code for functionality that appears to already be built into the OS. For instance, I get a limited field and button selection capability if I convert my form from standard to modal.

Maybe tapping into this functionality would require writing a native plug-in (although I would have no idea how to proceed or if it is even possible).

Jeremy, any chance you could weigh in? Is there something we are missing here?

-Steve

--
-Steve
sgibson

Postby FrankG on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:19 pm

Steve - I agree. I have not done any playing around with natve add ins. Way back on OS v 3 I did some C programming to the PalmOS APIs but once I got into OrbForms I've slacked off quite a bit.

Frank
FrankG

Postby dewey on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Though I am not sure how this works, my guess is that since the OrbC runtime is processing the 5-way events, the OS isn't handling them. In the case of domodal, the OS completely runs the event loop - so it works there.
dewey
Site Admin

Postby sgibson on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. Well, I can get the functionality I want by just using a modal form. So, for now, I'll just do that unless I run into some unforeseen problems later on as a result.

-Steve

--
-Steve
sgibson

Postby sangahm on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 pm

Does this functionality exist only for the newer models (Treo, etc) that support the button focus?
sangahm

Postby sgibson on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Well, it works on my Treo650. I would guess that it would work on other devices with the 5-way navigator, but I don't know for certain.

--
-Steve
sgibson

Postby dewey on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:37 pm

This was added to later devices (Treo and later)
dewey
Site Admin

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect