Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - pocketc vs pods

pocketc vs pods

Discuss OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect

pocketc vs pods

Postby sttrebo on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:49 pm

i was curious, yes i'm a newbie programmer. i'm interested in playing around with palmos programming. i'm very interested in pocketc architech. do i need both pocketc architech and orbforms designer, what is the difference? also, what are the pros/cons between pocketc architech and PODS?

thanks in advance...
steve
sttrebo

Re: pocketc vs pods

Postby mlambrigger on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Depends on what you want to do.
PODS is a complete development system wich you can use to program native PalmOS codes
PocketC or Orbform Designer or PocketC architect are development environment based on a virtual machine.

So if you want to program some function wich interract directly with the system, as develop a program which can be activate by alarms, you need to do this with PODS.

If you want to develop some other stuffs as a dvd database manager or a game, ... you only need Orbform Architect.

The development with Architect is simplier due to the virtual machine. So you will have a result quicker.

I hope this will help you

Marc Lambrigger
User of Orbform Designer since 2003
mlambrigger

Postby sttrebo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:23 pm

what i was hoping to accomplish are small programs, scaled down text file editors, timers, task/work catalogers. i know that there are a number of applications out there that already do this. i'm just using this as a learning experience. if, for example, i wanted to create an application that would monitor a serial port connection and output the data to a text file, either in RAM or on the SD card. would pocketc architect be able to do this or am i better off with PODS?

thanks

steve

ps-
maybe i'm confused. how different are orbforms and pocketc? is pocketc what i need, not orbforms?
sttrebo

Postby mlambrigger on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:06 pm

There are some differences between orbform designer and pocketc architect

The first one is a product in its own. PocketC Architect is the evolution of PocketC and is newer than orbform. In the facts they are both based on the same virtual machine.

For the programs you want to develop, both are, in my mind, better than PODS. I am a software ingineer and for the types of developement you want to do, I think the better is the PocketC architect. You will have all you need to use serail ports, blietooth or sockets features you need.

When you develop an alarm based program, you need some begin arguments you can't have with the virtual machine. It's why you can't develop those typed of applications with orbform products.
The plus of orbform products are that you have a simplier interface, simplier functions, types, objects and and and

At the end, you can't do everything with orbform products, but you can do this faster

To learn a c++ like programming language, orbform is the good choice.
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby sttrebo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:55 pm

thanks for your explanations on this.

i'm not envisioning any alarms type of apps in my future, but i am looking at apps that would need respond to custom launch controls/codes. it sounds like pocketc should be able to handle this? also, does it handle multi-segment data (>64k). are there functions available or is this outside the scope of pocketc?

thanks
steve
sttrebo

Postby mlambrigger on Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:22 pm

You must use pods if you ant to use startin modes as search mode. the orbform virtual machine have some globals wich are not supported by the multi starting ode feature of the palm os.

@Dewey: when will we have a new VM ith start mode support?
Marc Lambrigger
mlambrigger

Postby dewey on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:33 pm

For most of the start modes, the current Palm OS is (5.x) simply doesn't allow this to work if you application needs global variables, which the OrbC runtime does. The primary reason is that Palm OS doesn't support multitasking (except in very limited/primitive ways). From all indications, the next OS will be a fully modernized OS and will enable this and other features.
dewey
Site Admin

Return to OrbForms Designer and PocketC Architect