Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - PocketC vs GCC vs Codewarrior or ??

PocketC vs GCC vs Codewarrior or ??

Postby spudley on Sat Dec 08, 2001 1:03 am

Another newbie ;) here, but I used to do a lot of C programming a few years back, so maybe not as much of a newbie as some others. Anyway, I'm new to PalmOS developing, so my predicament is this:

I downloaded and quickly attempted setting up the 'freeware' GCC compiler, SDK and all that other 'stuff' (it didn't work, and I have better things to do then mess with its 'ugly' configuration requirements). So, I download PocketC (desktop version) and get it up and running and build me a 'mini' test application in a few minutes. (that 700 or so character limit should be more IMHO).

However, PocketC 'sample code' differs quite a bit from GCC sample codes (ie main()in pocketc vs PilotMain()in GCC) -- if/when a person outgrows PocketC, how easy would it be to migrate applications over to GCC or CodeWarrior (haven't even bothered trying that one)?

Would button/form/menu building be the same or to what degree is PocketC 'helping' out in that regard? (Not that its a bad thing, but one does need to learn whats behind the scenes too).

Anyway, I realize PocketC, GCC and Codewarrior are all totally different systems, meant for different 'things', but is there any kind of a comparison available?

Ie, what are PocketC applications capable of vs CodeWarrior for instance? Sorry I don't have specifics to ask about, but any generic comparison would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Trade your website traffic...
http://www.surferswap.com
Trade your website traffic...
http://www.surferswap.com
spudley

Postby degv on Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:33 pm

There are people much more qualified than I to answer this but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Pocket C is capable of much especially when combined with some of the native libraries out there such as Ptoolbox. To see what you can do with Pocket C follow some of the links on the web ring.

I'm sure the other programs you mention are faster but as you've already learned - much more complex to set up.

David
degv

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB