Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - How to use PocketC?

How to use PocketC?

Postby ariel_au on Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:37 am

I wanted to develop a Road Map program for PalmOS.

my problem is, how to use PocketC?
Which freeware to download?
ariel_au

Postby degv on Tue Dec 04, 2001 9:34 am

You can get Pocket C as a free download from loads of places (try palmgear.com) but only for a trial time. You'll then have to register / pay. It's a bargain reslly!
degv

Postby ariel_au on Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:25 pm

There are 3 PocketC products for PalmOS;
1. PocketC Desktop Edition v1.6
2. PocketC 4.1.0
3. PocketC Runtime 4.1.0

If I am right, the desktop edition allows user to develop applications on the PC and then HotSync into the Palm and run in the Palm.

The PocketC 4.1.0 only allows user to develop applications inside the Palm device, then compile and run the application in the Palm.

My question is, are both products equally compatible for developing applications?

Are there any differences in both products for developing applications?

Can I run the PocketC and my applications developed by PocketC in the Emulator instead on the Palm device?
ariel_au

Postby wolfgang on Tue Dec 04, 2001 3:27 pm

The device edition and the desktop edition are absolutely compatible what regards the built-in functions. But the desktop compiler has some advantages - it can handle files longer than 4 KB (the Palm memo limit), you have a keyboard to type, it can create standalone applications (when you use the device compiler, you have to run your programs from within PocketC.

On the other hand, it's easier to make small changes (during debug for example) on the device itself instead of having to recompile and re-hotsync every time. And coding while on a plane or waiting at the doctor can be fun, too.

I'd suggest you get both (device and desktop version), so you'll have the best of both worlds (I did the same).

Finally, yes, you can run the compiled programs on the desktop Palm emulator.

Wolfgang
Composing music on the PocketPC! - http://www.pdamusician.com
wolfgang

Postby ariel_au on Tue Dec 04, 2001 11:51 pm

So if i were to create a road map program, is PocketC a best option?

The desktop edition or the device edition suits the road map development?
ariel_au

Postby wolfgang on Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:25 pm

As said, there is no difference in what programs you can create between both versions - they are absolutely the same language. But for any larger project (like yours) I would go with the desktop version - it's easier to edit large files on the PC and to type them on a keyboard instead of the stylus.

As far as capabilities go, PocketC in combination with the free PToolbox should be up to the task for your project. And the learning curve is much easier with PocketC than it is with Codewarrior.

Wolfgang
Composing music on the PocketPC! - http://www.pdamusician.com
wolfgang

Postby Corzar on Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:09 pm

If you wanted to write it on the handheld, get the freeware CryptoPad so you don't have to worry about the 4k limit and can password protect your source.

Bye!
Xavier
Xavier Smork

*Trying to make something important*

Love my Sony PDA!

http://www.geocities.com/xaviersmork
Corzar

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB