Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - Using Memopad for Database Application

Using Memopad for Database Application

Postby tony on Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:25 am

Hello-

I am new pocketc programmer and I want to write a database app using memo pad database (.dat) file. I am developing a menu ordering system.

My palm os database application will read a memo pad database file sent from PC base station to visor in memo pad dat format.

Then the database application will read the menu database file to display the menu item and prices when the user selects an item from the menu.

Every time the user selects an item from the menu, as he is selecting items which make up the order, I want to write it to a single line in the memo pad database.

There will be several orders , so I want to write each order on its own line in the memo pad database.

What advantages and disadvantages will I face using memo pad for my database compared to creating my open database with dbopen().

I am thinking it will be easier to use memo pad.
tony

Postby jstadolnik on Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:11 pm

For one, memopad records are limited to 4Kbytes in size.

In about two weeks I plan to release a new version of the PToolboxLib which supports Handbase and Pilot-DB databases. The advantage of these database formats it that they have deskop tools which allow to you modify these databases on your PC.

Alternatively you can just use function calls like dbwritex and dbreadx to created your own custom databases. However, you generally have to write your own PC side app to view and modify these databases.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby mattmccarthy on Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:22 am

I am just finishing a database application. I used Microsoft Access, you know, the one that only requires its users to have opposable thumbs. I use a database conversion program from a company called AppForge to send to the PDA. I can query, edit, et. al. on the desktop, and don't have to worry about MEMOs getting screwed with on the PDA. Just a thought.
mattmccarthy

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:23 pm

What's the name of this AppForge utility? Did you need to pay the $500 kit fee to get it, or is it freely available?

Does it include a conduit for automatically synchronizing the databases with MS-Access?

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Postby mattmccarthy on Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:10 am

I started with AppForge before PocketC, so I ended up buying it for a hundred bucks or so. I couldn't tolerate the "Booster (375K)" that had to be on the PDA to run, but I kept it for the database and graphics converter. I am pretty sure it's http://www.appforge.com.

Question: Does PocketC support any bitmap file format, or do I need to deal with these henous hex strings?
mattmccarthy

Postby pberkhof on Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:47 am

Hi,

This question is for Joe. Could you also consider support for ThinkDB as well? They have a good 'relational' database with desktop support and fairly ready conversion to and from the OTDB (opposable thumb database, Access;)source.
pberkhof

Postby jstadolnik on Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:53 pm

Unfortunately due the ThinkDB developer legal agreement, it's not possible to write a ThinkDB interface library, especially one which also supports thier competition.

See the link below for a thread on this.

http://www.orbworks.com/forum2/viewtopi ... ve+library

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
jstadolnik

Postby Steven on Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:26 pm

I just started using PocketC and looking over this forum. Regarding the post made by jstadolnik on 2/4, how would I write a PC application which would view and modify Palm databases? The only way I know of to read and write these databases on the PC is to use the PDB libraries which come with AppForge. However, I cannot build these into a program to be distributed, due to the license agreement.
Steven

Postby degv on Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:32 pm

I'm not sure how to write the program but one does already exist. Take a look at pdbconverter. It's a free download and does a decent job of creating pdb's on the pc and even editing them.

David
degv

Postby WauloK on Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Question: Does PocketC support any bitmap file format, or do I need to deal with these henous hex strings?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
You can use artisoft's artBMP to create/edit bmps and use PToolboxLib to display them.

Funky groovy PocketC support site.
http://pocketc.bangrocks.com/
If you love PocketC, you'll love this!
Join and become part of the community!
News, reviews, free source code and more!
Funky groovy PocketC support site.
http://pocketc.bangrocks.com/
Iron Filings v2.0 released.
Download a demo version at http://www.palmgear.com
Made with PocketC!
WauloK

Return to PocketC for Palm OS KB