Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jerdew5/orbworks.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3368: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3370: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3371: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3372: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:472)
OrbWorks Community Forum • View topic - text alignment in Note

text alignment in Note

A PocketC native palm library offering native forms and assorted utilities

Postby tthkbw on Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:36 pm

I am building tables and displaying them with Note for ease of scrolling. I use spaces to align the table columns, but if a string, like a name, for example, is of odd length, I don't have a method to align subsequent columns. Is there a way to do this? I need a non-printing character that is only one pixel wide, or at least non-printing that is of odd length.

Any suggestions?

tthkbw
tthkbw

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:04 pm

I'm not aware of any 1 pixel characters... though there might be.

You could craft your own font or just copy one of the default ones and add an additional 1 pixel character.

In the upcoming v7.4.0 release (it's coded but not fully documented), there will be functions for rapidly loading sets of fields/buttons to/from arrays. This will allow you to do tables pretty well. Additionally, there will be scrollbar support.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby tthkbw on Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:05 pm

Actually, I think I figured this out, although my solution wastes a bit of space. Turns out that character 25 has a width of 5 and doesn't print anything in Note. So with judicious use of additional space on alphabetic columns, I can make them align. I test for odd length, and if I find it, then add a character 25. This makes the length even, and I can pad to the next column with spaces, which are width 2. This unfortunately requires a minimum clear space width of 5 pixels between columns, but at least my table looks nice.

tthkbw
tthkbw

Postby jstadolnik on Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:10 pm

Yeah, but how will the table look if it exported to a memo? Will this character show up?

You might consider checking out the PToolbox database functions for exporting data.

Joe

The PToolboxLib guy.
http://www.geocities.com/retro_01775/PToolboxLib.htm
jstadolnik

Postby tthkbw on Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:52 pm

Well, in this case, I don't care about export. I am displaying the current box score for a baseball game and I use Note because of the scroll bar.

But, after reading your post, I added a few lines to export the string to a memopad memo and it looks just the same as in Note. Cool!

tthkbw
tthkbw

Return to Pocket Toolbox